rob_spedding
rob_spedding Posts: 442
edited November 2017 in The cake stop
Where is it? And why?
Rob Spedding, Editor, Cycling Plus

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Pendle .. ..Sabden..Newchurch...Barley...Downham..Worston...Up to then down the Nick of Pendle into Sabden...Only 15miles by narrow road encircling pendle hill enabing you to photo it from many angles.. short vicoius climbs followed by some nice freewheeling down to Downham...makes a it a toughie with great views..The witches at Witches galor + the witches grave at Newchurch.add the character
    jc
  • Callander to Pitlochry (in Scotland); a 60 mile ride passing the Falls of Leny, Loch Lubnaig, the fantastic climb up Glen Ogle, the fast downhill section to Killin passing the Falls of Dochart, along shores of the very picturesque Loch Tay, through the very idyllic village of Kenmore, the fast flat roads through to Logierait before the final undulating section through to Pitlochry…..quite simply superb
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    A sticky favourite ride eh?

giggity.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Loop through the Royal National Park south of Sydney early on a Sunday morning. It's about 75 km round trip, usually very little traffic, through a forest. WHen you come out of the park about half way round, you arrive at this place, for a drink stop:

wollongong_bald-hill-stanwell-tops.jpg

Always a good trip, enough hills to be a challenge, and a nice fast run home for the last 15 km.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TLDNMCL
    TLDNMCL Posts: 2,779
    Any! Haven't ridden for nearly nine months because of illness and injury :cry:
    So now I'm unfit, fat, and mildly crackers. My next ride will be my favourite!
    Mac
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Where is it?

80 miles around West Wales
    And why?

cos that's where I live..?

Apologies for the lack of detail, but I've tried to keep my answer inline with the vagueness of the original question......
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Mrs. Hopper1!... :twisted:

Well, someone had too! :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Debbie, when she did Dallas a few years back... and I was there on holiday.
  • http://ridewithgps.com/trips/81503

on an evening ... perfect, just perfect
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Today,on the Black Train Song.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    Kamakochi to Nakamura in Japan, through Norikuma (highest raod in Japan, 2700+ m above sea level).

Closed to motorized traffic.
    90ish miles.
    One hill.
    2400m elevation gain.
    Good scenery.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I would love to ride up Mount Fuji!

My favourite ride in Hong Kong was up this:

http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/1 ... shan_3.jpg

Limburg's not so spectacular...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Mine used to be Abergavenny - Usk - Llangwm then up the Wye Valley to Monmouth, through to Rockfield and back to Abergavenny via Cross Ash. It has some beautiful scenery, decent gradual climbs mixed with shorter, steeper efforts and a flattish section alongside the River Wye. I still love the route although the Wye Valley road is bit too busy these days. I'm lucky that I have so many possible routes and even after all these years I can end up on a club run that follows roads I've never ridden before.

I also went on holiday to Donegal a good few years back and used to do a ride based in Ballyhoorisky and around Port Salon, only about 20 miles but some beautiful unspoilt countryside, views over the Atlantic and some nice hills (with gravelly corners that left me with a few cuts, grazes and stones stuck in my hands :oops: ). I wonder if it is still an unspoiled part of the world? Would love to go back.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Any now the snow has gone! I tend to vary routes as much as possible but today's was:

Huntingdon - Offord Cluny - Toseland - Abbotsley - Gamlingay - Potton - Guilden Morden - Bassingbourne - Shepreth - Barrington - Cambridge - Histon and a few miles on our lovely new £116m cycleway! - Fen Drayton - St Ives - Houghton Mill - Huntingdon

Nice mixed 70 miler with a few "hills" and half an hour outside King's College taking coffee and watching the talent go by :wink:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Pyms chair, cause it's steep.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    pottssteve wrote:

Visited Mount Fuji last year as a break from a Cherryblossom tour of Japan..You can hire bikes locally easily from hostels or shops near train stations.Found it best seen from afar to be honest as it loses a bit of defintion as you ride up to it..Pottered by bike round the roads and farm fieldss around it..its about 120km to circumnavigate it by road.prob more than a days ride cos of stops, route checking etc.. Its very shy and often covered by cloud..so a weather check is essentrial a day or so before you head there.Didnt do any Mountain biking or go higher than the base of it
    jc
  • Pep
    freehub wrote:

Too short :?
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Scrumple wrote:
    Debbie, when she did Dallas a few years back... and I was there on holiday.

Say NO more.other than a classic. :shock: Did you have a walk on :!:
    bagpuss
  • freehub
    Pep wrote:
    freehub wrote:

It's 23%.... It's not too short if you push hard up it.
  • any ride that gets me out of the town on them country roads
    going downhill slowly
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    jc4lab wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Visited Mount Fuji last year as a break from a Cherryblossom tour of Japan..You can hire bikes locally easily from hostels or shops near train stations.Found it best seen from afar to be honest as it loses a bit of defintion as you ride up to it..Pottered by bike round the roads and farm fieldss around it..its about 120km to circumnavigate it by road.prob more than a days ride cos of stops, route checking etc.. Its very shy and often covered by cloud..so a weather check is essentrial a day or so before you head there.Didnt do any Mountain biking or go higher than the base of it

jc4lab,

Thanks for the info. I visited Fuji in October last year and drove up to the Fifth Station in a coach, hence the interest in riding up. I was very lucky, it was cloud free on the flight to Japan so I got some fantastic photos as we flew past, and also on the day we visited. I agree it looks better from a distance, at the top it was freezing and blowing a gale. :D If I win the lottery I'll be back!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Pep
    freehub wrote:
    Pep wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Steep like hell I agree. (well, like paradise maybe...)

But still too short for my taste.
    I would sell my soul for 23km at 10% rather than 23% for less than 100m.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I like wales up the bwilch and rhigos and through to breacon nice scenery.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • freehub
    Pep wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    Pep wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Well you'll have to move to a different country for that.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Sennen Cove to St Ives along the coast road. I was on holiday in May & the weather was hot & the skies were a cloudless blue. I stopped at a cafe in St Ives for coffee & then rode to Penzance. I followed the coast to Mousehole & the swung inland & rode along narrow, shaded lanes back to Sennen Cove. At the bottom of the hill it was a sharp left into the bar of The Old Sucess for a few cold Rattlers(simply the best cider I've tasted).

I loved every single mile. If I was to have a "Groundhog Day" on a bike, it'd be that ride.
  • Pep
    freehub wrote:
    Pep wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    Pep wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Well you'll have to move to a different country for that.

I'm afraid I DID move to the wrong country then. :(

From my mum house a good route is 21km one way, ONE hill, 2000m climb. Turn and back. Not 23km at 10% average but still pretty good.
    Get up early and have early breakfast with mum. Go for the ride. Home for lunch. Could life be better?
  • andy162 wrote:
    Sennen Cove to St Ives along the coast road. I was on holiday in May & the weather was hot & the skies were a cloudless blue. I stopped at a cafe in St Ives for coffee & then rode to Penzance. I followed the coast to Mousehole & the swung inland & rode along narrow, shaded lanes back to Sennen Cove. At the bottom of the hill it was a sharp left into the bar of The Old Sucess for a few cold Rattlers(simply the best cider I've tasted).

I loved every single mile. If I was to have a "Groundhog Day" on a bike, it'd be that ride.

I NEED TO RIDE THIS ROUTE!!. My dad lived in Mousehole and now lives in Redruth and I live in the West Midlands.

I know the area very well from when I used to visit my dad but since taking up road cycling I haven't had a chance to go visit him but remember the lanes round there being steep as hell and the scenery amazing!.

Did you ride through Mousehole with the sea on your left...if so did you go up the ridiculously steep hill coming out of Mousehole?...ooh I want to go!!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Anything involving Slochd summit between Inverness and Aviemore. It's a stuggle to get up there and always brings a sense of achievement. It always feels a special place.

And going back down is huge fun ;-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Dunk_911
    Dunk_911 Posts: 239
    Best ride I ever did was around Loch Levin and Kinloch Levin. Did it years before i had a road bike but I loved the road.
    I discovered it when i was about 18 and i was doing a quarter of the distance of the days stage in the TDF. everyday. Id love to take my road bike up there sometime and just roll through the miles.
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    Wales. Llanidloes to Machynlleth.

Bitch of an ascent on a fully loaded touring bike but the descent into Machynlleth is simply gob smackingly stunning.