Arghhh stupid rear hub

badhorsy
badhorsy Posts: 107
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hi all,

thought I'd get some quick advice before I head along to my LBS (again).
It has been such a shit winter - first I had to get my BB replaced because it failed, then I managed to fall in some ice and destroy my chain.

Anyway, I'm having problems with what I think is the rear hub. For a few weeks now, it's taken about a minute for the pawls to start working in my bike (i.e. if I coast, the pedals move forward). The rear hub has also been making intermittent clunking/creaking noises (and I really mean intermittent - sometimes they will appear half way though a ride, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they're there from the start...). Today I've noticed that when I'm pedalling, the drivetrain will occasionally not engage on some pedal strokes (i.e. the pedal will suddenly jump a quarter turn).

Is this an LBS job? Or is it just my rear hub not liking the cold weather?

Comments

• jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Sounds very similar to this problem

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12745473

Check out some of the advice in there, sounds like cold weather + thick grease = lazy pawls to me.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hub service / new freehub
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • What wheel is it your having problems with? Sounds to me like the pawl spring(s) may have failed to be honest. This can be a simple self repair if you can get the pawl spring from the supplier.
    MTB - Claud Butler Olympus XT
    MTB - Cannondale Jekyll 3 2012
    Road - Ribble Sportive Bianco/Ultegra 6800
    TT - Retro 80's Argos steel Beast