Afan this weekend?

Jimfrandisco
Jimfrandisco Posts: 210
edited December 2010 in MTB rides
Apologies if there is already a thread on this...but i haven't been able to find one.

Can anyone tell me what condition Afan is currently in snow/ice wise - ie has anyone local ridden it this week?
I've seen the post on the mtbwales page, but no indication when that was written?

Forecast for the next few days/weekend is better, but local knowledge is king

cheers

Jim

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    see the last post in the 'south wales rides' thread. a guy's posted some pics of his ride last weekend.

looks poo :(
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    Last Saturday the forest roads were sheet ice, had to push from the rhyslyn carpark almost all the way to the first bit of single track on the wall, totally unridable.

However apart from one or 2 patchs most of the single track was ice free. Esp the tree covered parts
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels
  • if its anything like cwncarn was last wk end, which i assume it will be, it will be an ice fest. i'm off friday and was hoping to get over there, but going to give it a miss i think.
  • It was me who posted them pics.

parts were rideable but a fair bit wasnt, the first climb from the start just before the switch back was the worst due to all the rocks been covered in ice. Also where other riders have gone over the snow its then frozen and left tyre width tracks and if you dont stay in them they put u off balance. It took alot longer to ride due to being more cautious.

Im hoping it clears or warms up myself by the weekend, its just not the same when the trails like that.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    WelshGiant wrote:
    It was me who posted them pics.parts were rideable but a fair bit wasnt, the first climb from the start just before the switch back was the worst due to all the rocks been covered in ice. Also where other riders have gone over the snow its then frozen and left tyre width tracks and if you dont stay in them they put u off balance. It took alot longer to ride due to being more cautious.

Im hoping it clears or warms up myself by the weekend, its just not the same when the trails like that.

sorry, i described you as "some guy" i should have said welsh giant :lol:
  • Forecast is up to 4 then 6 degrees over the next couple of days so hope it'll improve.

WelshGiant do you reckon with a couple of days thaw would do the job, or would it need a lot more than that?

We'll probably head there anyway - a slow ride is better than none i guess. We're the roads ok round that way?

cheers
  • welshkev wrote:
    WelshGiant wrote:
    It was me who posted them pics.parts were rideable but a fair bit wasnt, the first climb from the start just before the switch back was the worst due to all the rocks been covered in ice. Also where other riders have gone over the snow its then frozen and left tyre width tracks and if you dont stay in them they put u off balance. It took alot longer to ride due to being more cautious.

sorry, i described you as "some guy" i should have said welsh giant :lol:

Its ok fella lol
  • Forecast is up to 4 then 6 degrees over the next couple of days so hope it'll improve.

WelshGiant do you reckon with a couple of days thaw would do the job, or would it need a lot more than that?

We'll probably head there anyway - a slow ride is better than none i guess. We're the roads ok round that way?

cheers

Im not too sure to be honest as i live in port talbot and there is no snow and a small amount of ice but up there its a different world, i didnt expect it to be like that when i went up there. The roads were fine, gritteres were out when i was on my way up, only the glyncorwg car park was covered in snow and ice.

Im debatting what to do myself may wait for a few ppls reviews if they go up before i may do saturday or sunday.
  • If the roads are ok then it sounds like it'd be rude not to give it a shot.

cheers for the info

Jim