BMX + Fixie ?

doctorkoh
doctorkoh Posts: 20
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
Sorry if this is a topic already discussed, but i was just wondering,
is it possible to put the typical 27" or 700C fixed gear wheels on a BMX frame?
I feel like it would be a cool combination, but I have no idea if the sizes would match
up. If you have any experience in this type of build, any input would be much appreciated!

Comments

• lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Freestyle BMXs take 20" wheels, race BMXs take 24". You certainly couldn't fit a 700c in a freestyle BMX frame, you might very possibly get one in a race BMX frame.

What would be the point anyway? Just get a 29er SS/fixed bike and put slicks on it.
  • Freestyle BMXs take 20" wheels, race BMXs take 24". You certainly couldn't fit a 700c in a freestyle BMX frame, you might very possibly get one in a race BMX frame.

What would be the point anyway? Just get a 29er SS/fixed bike and put slicks on it.

sorry, what is an "SS"
  • SS = Single Speed, which generally has a freewheel hub, where fixed, while only one speed, do not.

Even if you could fit 700c wheels in a BMX frame of any description, it would likely handle like a bag of wet cement. And since you would be very unlikely to find any brake calipers that would match up on the rims of such a Frankenbike setup you'd have to use a fixed wheel. Add in problems figuring out what gearing would be needed to pedal such a configuration anywhere and you have a big ugly pointless headache.

IMO of course...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    not possible on modern bmx frames. there is barely enough room for the 20" wheels nowadays, with chainstays as short as they are.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You wanted a tiny framed BMX, with 700c wheels ? :?: :?: :?:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Why would anyone want to do this :?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Bikes look stupid with the wrong sized wheels on :

51tzwh.jpg
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I've done it with an MTB frame but that was tight, I'd be amazed if you could squeeze them into a BMX frame.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols