How do I measure my Bar Rise? - (Ooh, err, missus!)

Jenny Taylia
Jenny Taylia Posts: 269
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

May sound a dum-bass question but how do I measure the amount of "Rise" on my handlebars? :shock:

I get the bit about taking a tape measure . . . . . :wink:

It's just, where do I measure from & to? The bars obviously rise all the way to the ends!

I want to know how much "Rise" is on my current bars as I'd like more.

many thanks in advance for all the helpful answers (And the silly ones too :wink: )

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    center to center.

rest the bars on the floor and measure up.

C to C is the same as edge to edge. ( NOT Between).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    center to center.

rest the bars on the floor and measure up.

C to C is the same as edge to edge. ( NOT Between).

thanks for that . . . . . though I'm still confused! :oops:

That would mean it's the measurement from the centre of the bars (At the clamp part) to the centre at the very ends, is that right? (i.e. the total rise from the cantre to the bar ends)

So if you shorten the bars, the "Rise" will be less?

Am I receiving you?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no they dont.

img30480.jpg

the way you have them mounted will give the impression of it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    To be honest I've been confused by this as I just bought some second hand Ritchey Carbon bars with 15mm rise stated and thought they'd been misdescribed but looking at the specs on websites they are definitely the low rise ones.

The only way I can get close to this is to put them on the table with the markings such that the 0 is parallel to the table then measure from the centre of the clamp area to the centre of the bar with the meaasurement taken about half way between the centre of the bar and clamp lengthwise. I would have thought it would have been centre to end lengthwise.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • nicklouse wrote:
    no they dont.

img30480.jpg

the way you have them mounted will give the impression of it.

Hi.

at the risk of looking even thicker . . .. .

I really need to clarify how to measure as the bars I've just got should be hi-rise but they look like mid rise. They are quoted as being 50mm rise but the "White Arrow Measurement" is only 32mm

Which colour arrow is the measurement to take, to get the amount of "Rise" please

NicklouseBarmeasure.jpg

thanks
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You measure on the same plane, so it's the white one
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"