Freehub problem.

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Well I think there is a problem with the freehub, I was cycling to uni this morning, and I thought one of my gear cogs was worn on the back, as it was skipping, well I get to a traffic light, and as I'm about to set off, I pedal and nothing happens. Basically, it's like back-pedalling.

I notice the rear cassette/freehub also appears to be really wobbly.

Any idea what has gone wrong?

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    make sure the lock ring is tight.

water contamination in the body freezing stopping it working?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • freehub
    It is tight. With the bike sat on the ground, I can just spin the pedals both ways and it won't move the wheel.
  • The drive pawls have frozen in the closed position, due to water and / or crap, old grease etc getting into the freehub centre. Strip and clean.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Wot they said.

Very common when it's alternately wet then freezing. Take it to bits and give it a good clean, then rassemble with some very light grease.
  • freehub
    How do I actually get into the freehub? I know how to take it off but not take it apart, unless I just take the seal off and flush it with oil?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    What hub is it?
  • freehub
    It's a Shimano freehub off a Shimano R550 wheel.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    With most hubs you have to take the axle out then just gently pull the freehub of, giving it a twist as you do so. Best to put a rag over the freehub body as you do so, just incase any pawls or springs come flying off!
  • keef66
    Google or Youtube for servicing shimano freehub. + Shimano tech docs for an exploded diagram.
  • keef66
    Looks like they reccommend just removing the thing and flushing it out before trickling liquid lubricant back in. Dismantlement of the thing is discouraged.
  • Just catch the bus until Spring :wink:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • freehub
    Just catch the bus until Spring :wink:

As if I'm going to waste my money on those things.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Remove the freehub. Take the seal out of the back and give it a good flush out with degreaser. Do this several times then flush with water followed by WD40 or similar. Using a thickish oil feed it into the back of the freehub until it is full. Warming the oil can help but don't set it on fire. Push grease into the back and refit the seal. Refit freehub.
    If during the flushing process the pawls do not start working then replace the freehub. They are not good to service.
  • freehub
    It's buggered, lucky I've got 2 spare ones at home.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Freehub with a broken freehub... oh the irony! :lol:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Garz wrote:

Damn it. I was just about to point the same thing out! :oops: Was wondering if he had just started referring to himself in the 3rd person.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    It's ok he's got two spare ones at home Colin... :roll:

Think it should have been mentioned at the beginning! :)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Garz wrote:
    It's ok he's got two spare ones at home Colin... :roll:

Think it should have been mentioned at the beginning! :)

Yup, two spare ones at home. But doesn't know how to remove them from the wheel. How does that work? :?
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Pokerface wrote:
    Garz wrote:

Damn it. I was just about to point the same thing out! :oops: Was wondering if he had just started referring to himself in the 3rd person.

Perhaps he's one of triplets.Or has he managed to clone himself in a Dolly the sheep stylee :lol: