Pedal float ?

kenniff
kenniff Posts: 207
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
Pedal float ?not sure if its the right terminology for it but,my foot seems to have excess movment from side to side when trying to unclip.
Apart from the pedal adjustment(which i presume just makes it harder to get your foot off the pedal)is there anything i'm missing.
O and just to say thanks for everyones help since i joined the forum and a happy festive season
ken boy..... :lol:
Easy life

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Assuming you're talking about rotation of the ball of the foot on the horizontal plane when the foot is level? It varies considerably, depending on what make/model of pedal you have
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    As above.
    With my Time RXS pedals my feet move side to side and front to back.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    kenniff wrote:
    Pedal float ?not sure if its the right terminology for it but,my foot seems to have excess movment from side to side when trying to unclip.
    Apart from the pedal adjustment(which i presume just makes it harder to get your foot off the pedal)is there anything i'm missing.
    O and just to say thanks for everyones help since i joined the forum and a happy festive season

What pedals do you have? And what colour cleats do you use with them?

You are correctly talking about pedal float - it allows you foot to move around on the pedal without unclipping while pedaling. Helps prevent damage to your knees if you don't have the perfect pedal stroke. If it bothers you, it may be possible to change the cleats to reduce/remove the float.

For instance, if you use Look pedals, the red cleats have 9 degrees of float, the grey cleats have 4.5 degrees and the black cleats have none.

Shimano has 2 different cleats also I think. Not sure about Time. Speedplay can be adjusted, etc, etc.

So - what are you asking and what are you using?
  • Float is normal and most people use cleats with float.
    Different manufacturers use different degrees of floats on their pedals.
    Exactly as Pokerface said, it's like a safety feature for your knees.

Just a bit of additional info if anyone needs:

I've got the Shimano yellow cleats (SH11) and they have 3 degrees each way.
    The black ones are fixed :o
  • kenniff
    kenniff Posts: 207
    Ye sorry
    yellow shimano cleats on shimano pedals spd sl.
    PD-R540 just dug out the box and it says floating(included) :oops: :oops: and fixed (option)
    presume thats self explanatory.
    cheers
    ken

Pokerface wrote:
    kenniff wrote:

What pedals do you have? And what colour cleats do you use with them?

You are correctly talking about pedal float - it allows you foot to move around on the pedal without unclipping while pedaling. Helps prevent damage to your knees if you don't have the perfect pedal stroke. If it bothers you, it may be possible to change the cleats to reduce/remove the float.

For instance, if you use Look pedals, the red cleats have 9 degrees of float, the grey cleats have 4.5 degrees and the black cleats have none.

Shimano has 2 different cleats also I think. Not sure about Time. Speedplay can be adjusted, etc, etc.

So - what are you asking and what are you using?
    Easy life