Help: Giro Ionos or Atmos

RHT
RHT Posts: 34
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to buy a new helmet, I’ve tried on as many as I can and it's come down to a Giro model, (based on comfort and overall size). Either the 2011 Atmos (£103) or a 2011 Ionos (£135) (@ Wiggle). Both models have the RocLoc5 system.

Question 1. Is it worth paying the extra £32 for the Ionos

Question 2. Is the RocLoc 5 that much different from a RocLoc4? (I can still buy the RocLoc4 2010 models on line and save some cash a 2010 Ionos for £109 or the 2010 Atmos £89 (Fudge Cycles).

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Which one comes with a thermal liner? :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What about the Prolight? Not sure if there is any real advantage in the Ionos over the Atmos but there certainly is with the Prolight (ie it weighs a lot less!)! The only 'real' downside to the Prolight is relative lack of blingyness but if you don't need fake carbon look alike plastered on everything, that shouldn't be a concern!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have an 18 month old Ionos... I'll now look at Fudge's and get another! :wink: (Different colour).
    How's that for a recommendation!
    I would also consider the Atmos, if it fits.

Not the Prolight, though. I believe the strap that goes round the back of the head is elastic (weight saving), which goes 'funny' after a while...

Thanks for costing me 109 quid!! :lol:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The Ionos comes with a liner which is very good. It's quite a large looking helmet. Better with a bigger face than mine if you see what i mean. Got mine just before the RocLoc 5 came out, not that it bothers me.

Haven't had either of the other two.
  • hopper1
    The Ionos comes with a liner which is very good. It's quite a large looking helmet. Better with a bigger face than mine if you see what i mean. Got mine just before the RocLoc 5 came out, not that it bothers me.

You saying I got a fat face!?.... Pin head!... :wink:
  • rolf_f
    hopper1 wrote:
    Not the Prolight, though. I believe the strap that goes round the back of the head is elastic (weight saving), which goes 'funny' after a while...

What does 'funny' mean? Info source? I'd like to know!

I'm all in for weight saving especially when it is as cheap as the Prolight (in bike weight saving terms obv!) - I don't really want a complicated rocloc strap mech because my head is generally the same size all the time so it just needs to be set once!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    i prefer the roc loc 4 to the 5, i've used both, the 4 is faster/easier to use, a smidge more comfy too

if the ionos fits ok and you can get the rl4 version i'd go for that, plus the winter liner is handy
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited December 2010
    I've been wearing the Ionos for the past couple of years, but the one thing I don't like about it is the size. I find it kinda large and mushroom-like.

I tried the Atmos on and found it sat shorter on the head. Weight was about the same as was the comfort.

I also tried on the Prolight - which I personally found to be fugly compared to the other two. And oddly it seemed even bigger than the Ionos - but lighter.

So MY next helmet will the the Atmos.

Only reason I'll get the 2011 model over a 2010 one is because they don't have the colour I want in 2010.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I changed from an Atmos to a Prolite earlier this year. The Atmos is better vented - noticeable on the hotter summer days (not many!) but I find the slightly heath robinson strap system of the prolite to be significantly more comfortable; plus the weight difference is very apparent at the end of a longish day in the saddle - you just don't notice it!
    Prolite gets my vote, albeit I haven't tried the Ionis which looks huge side by side.

Peter
  • hopper1
    Rolf F wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

What does 'funny' mean? Info source? I'd like to know!

Unfortunately, I don't remember exact source(s), but I've read of issues with the elastic strap being affected by sweat/sunshine/ weather...
  • I have the Ionos and it's excellent, light and comfy and very well ventilated. Only minor niggle is it generates a surprising amount of wind noise. I would claim this is because I ride sooooooo fast, but sadly that ain't true.

The retention system is a little flimsy on them though, be gentle when tightening it up.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • giant_man
    hopper1 wrote:

You saying I got a fat face!?.... Pin head!... :wink:
    yeah perhaps you have, who knows eh? lol
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203

I tried a few Ionos's on a couple of weeks back, thought they looked ridiculously big on me and I've got a big face... I did like the 'Livestrong' design one though, looks cool with the yellow stripe and one yellow strap.

Will try an Atmos if they are better in this area.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I had the same dilemma, choosing between the Atmos, Ionos and Pro light,,,,they all felt slightly different when wearing and I thought I was going for the Atmos.....the only problem for me was that it looked huge.

I tried another helmet on the rack that fitted better and didn't look so large......the point being, try as many different helmets as you can and one will tick enough boxes, most road helmets in this price range will have the ventilation and safety covered, it is the fit that is down to the individual.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    porker33 wrote:
    I had the same dilemma, choosing between the Atmos, Ionos and Pro light,,,,they all felt slightly different when wearing and I thought I was going for the Atmos.....the only problem for me was that it looked huge.

I tried another helmet on the rack that fitted better and didn't look so large......the point being, try as many different helmets as you can and one will tick enough boxes, most road helmets in this price range will have the ventilation and safety covered, it is the fit that is down to the individual.

I think you migh've just answered my question! After reading this thread, I was looking at my Monza. While it looks in ok condition, the sticker in it reminds me I've had it since Feb 2006.
    Not sure if that's an issue?
    Thought I was a cert for the Atmos. Thought it would definitely be smaller than my Monza.
    Looking at the spec, I can't see where differences are for double the price?

Guess I need to try them on!

Sorry for the h-jack.
  • giant_man
    All three are nice helmets, expensive of course but quality usually is. Just depends which one suits the shape of your particular head.
  • Ionos is a much stiffer helmet so, imo safer and will be safer for longer. This is how i came to this conclusion:

Hold the helmet upside down on the sides with the front facing you - push in. The Atmos is springy and soft while the Ionos was rigid. I prefer something with structure and substance protecting my noggin.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I paid the extra for the Ionos and glad I did ! It looks miles better then the Atmos and also comes with an internal head warmer for the front :-)

forget the ProLight....hidious design :shock:
  • rolf_f
    turnerjohn wrote:
    I paid the extra for the Ionos and glad I did ! It looks miles better then the Atmos and also comes with an internal head warmer for the front :-)

forget the ProLight....hidious design :shock:

Indeed - wouldn't want function to get in the way of form would we :roll:
  • RHT
    RHT Posts: 34
    Just a quick note to thank everyone for their advice. As an update.

Discounted the Giro ProLight, it just seemed too flimsy, and like a couple of posts I had concerns with the elasticated head strap. So it was back to the Ionos and the Atmos. Tried them both on at lunchtime, comfort felt similar, in the end the Ionos just pipped it even though I had to dig that little deeper into the wallet, it just looked better finished and seemed to suit my head shape.

Thanks again for everyone invaluable contributions and safe cycling.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I got my 2011 Atmos for £93.99 from Rutland Cycling. I think they're still the same price.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Had both helmets and they're both excellent.

Price would swing it for me.
  • rc856
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Had both helmets and they're both excellent.

Price would swing it for me.

Is there a noticable difference in size?
    I've got a Monza at the moment...had it since 2006 so was going to replace it...and would like something more slimline!
  • Yeh, I've got the Monza and it seems to stick out a foot either side of my head! lol. I would like something more 'slimline' as well. Or would all helmets look like a mushroom on me? (i.e. is it my head?)

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but is the Bell sweep more 'slimlined' that the Giro Atmos? I live in the middle of nowhere; my nearest bike shop is miles away and they don't keep many different types of helmets in stock so I can't see for myself. All I know is my current Monza looks ridiculous on my head :roll:

Thanks.
  • I can vouch for the Giro Ionos helmet. Early December 2010 I had a road accident where I was travelling too fast for the road condition (at approximately 40 Kph or 25mph) when rounding a right hand corner and my bike become unstable when I ran into a patch of rubble on the wet road.
    I went flying off my bike hitting head first a vertical support for the guard rail on the side of the road.

I suffered leg injuries in the accident but my Giro Ionos helmet saved my life. It was shattered but remained in tact in spite of the full head on collision. I have not suffered any neck or back pain since the incident. Spent the next 2 weeks in hospital,

I will buy another Giro Ionos helmet without any hesitation. I am 186cm (6'2") and weight 99kg.
  • rc856
    B_Double.....1st post, do you work for Giro? :) Welcome to the forum.
    Glad I haven't had to 'test' my helmet like that!
    I was set on an Atmos. Thought they looked smaller than the Monza?
    Is the Ionos much the same? The main bike shop I have is Evans which don't stock either so I can't try either on!

Anyone fancy measuring the dimensions of a medium Atmos and/or Ionos for me? :):)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    B_Double wrote:
    I can vouch for the Giro Ionos helmet. Early December 2010 I had a road accident where I was travelling too fast for the road condition (at approximately 40 Kph or 25mph) when rounding a right hand corner and my bike become unstable when I ran into a patch of rubble on the wet road.
    I went flying off my bike hitting head first a vertical support for the guard rail on the side of the road.

I suffered leg injuries in the accident but my Giro Ionos helmet saved my life. It was shattered but remained in tact in spite of the full head on collision. I have not suffered any neck or back pain since the incident. Spent the next 2 weeks in hospital,

I will buy another Giro Ionos helmet without any hesitation. I am 186cm (6'2") and weight 99kg.

you can use giro's crash replacement programme, they swap the damaged one for new at reduced price...

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • the ionos is an updated and revised version of the atmos i think that the ionos is slightly better looking. a review of the ionos is on this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krMvF7M5K8g
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    planet x have the atmos on sale for 80quid if that helps anyone
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • giant_man
    The Ionos isn't an updated version of the Atmos at all. Different shape and more vents.