C2W + Evans + A completley different riding style

tptvmbircn
tptvmbircn Posts: 782
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
Hello all,

I've got the nod to say i can have a voucher upto the amount and apparently my company have teamed up with evans and i'm looking at this beaut:

http://goo.gl/wx5HC

For humm 13 year? i've always been on a MTB, but i'm mainly knocking out miles on tracks C2C etc and love speed, distance and not as much for jumping about really so the above would tick the boxes in theory, also, i commute every day.

shall i try a CX first? will I like it as my heart is set on a setup like this and all going well to go ahead with it all is a good idea?

Thoughts on a postcard please!

Comments

• Will it be used solely for your commute?

How far is your commute and over what surface? ie is it all road???

Lovely bike but just thinking if it's solely for commuting and all road based you may be better with a road bike or flat bar road / hybrid that you can fit with mudguards, panniers etc should you want them.

But I expect it would do the job perfectly well however!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • Thankd for the reply, I'm a trail monster however, so the idea would be that its used for the commute which has tracks and roads and on the rides out will be mainly trails across and back over the country i was thinking of a full on road bike but i love to nip off onto those tracks a little too often haha
  • Get a steel framed bike. Genesis Croix de Fer or Day One Versa Alfine, Bish, bash and indeed, bosh.
  • That's actually a good point jonny, i'm reading through the terms and conditions of the C2W scheme and its all a bit doom and gloom, i'm thinking whether to just buy one myself here at the moment, you're entering into a 3 year lease agreement and at the end the company decides what to do with "their" bike, I don't like the sound of that at all!
  • I'm self employed so I can't get C2W, but the Genesis bikes are definitely available through Evans, they seem to tick your boxes and the lads who ride them here love them (there's always the Pompetine Versa Pro to consider too).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm self employed so I can't get C2W, but the Genesis bikes are definitely available through Evans, they seem to tick your boxes and the lads who ride them here love them (there's always the Pompetine Versa Pro to consider too).

Why can't you get a bike being SE? I know 2 people SE who have used their company to buy the bike for themselves, as they save on employers NI and also the FMV is paid from themselves to the company (themselves) they are quids in!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well I went to order my Genisis yesterday night, lovely bike by the way @Jonny, however...

I got the wrong voucher went through the £900 one, now to my amazment the scheme wanted me to sign upto a £81.75 monthly salary reduction, hold on... £900 divided by 12 = £75, plus 36% discount, how does that work out, so i was expecting £50 odd quidd a month.

Then to kick a man whilst he is down, the scheme i'm on, Evans emailed back today to say they don't support the C2W scheme, they run on a R2W scheme so well that's buggered that then haha.

Will just save a few pennies and get one myself, speaking to people about the C2W its not really reccomended...

Terry
  • Why can't you get a bike being SE? I know 2 people SE who have used their company to buy the bike for themselves, as they save on employers NI and also the FMV is paid from themselves to the company (themselves) they are quids in!

Simon

It may be possible if I was registered as a limited company, but I am not. As far as I am aware, I cannot get CTW as self employed. I can, however, claim reasonable commuting costs against tax. I'll have a word with my accountant and see what the real deal is.

Sorry to hear you are encountering difficulties Stealthelite. I have been hearing some pretty poor reports of CTW recently. You should probably be able to find your Genesis at other stores.

What are you going for? The Croix de Fer or the Day One Alfine? I quite fancy a Day One Alfine as my ultimate commuter myself, but am half hoping an 11 speed/drop bar version comes out soon.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It may be possible if I was registered as a limited company, but I am not.

AIUI you don't need to be a ltd company, just self employed with your own fully accounted company (rather than just money going in and out your own pocket so to speak).

Stealth,
    Evans run their own scheme, you need to check what stores use your scheme.

Payments should be the value/12, however they are made before tax so you don't then pay tax on the amount you pay, so will see less tax deducted and your final pay check will be down by less than the amount you pay for the bike. Saving is not huge, a base rate tax payer, once they pay the 25% FMV will only save about 7% but you do get a years interest free credit.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks @The Beginner, I will take a look, might have a nip upto gateshead and have a word in person see what the crack is