2010 Metric Century Challenge

Comments

• Big Ted
    Big Ted Posts: 330
    its over for me. My 3rd attempt in 3 years and i've failed again :cry:

struggling since the triple ironman finish in August and then when i had a weekend at the end of Novemeber the weather screwed any chance i had.

Well done to everyone, i hope you all make it.

Maybe next year.....
    Big Ted Rides Hard...
  • Batch78 and Big Ted, sorry to lose you both.
    Good luck with your plans and goals for 2011.
    Airwave, congratulations to you, I haven't checked through but presume you are the first finisher? Well done!
    Forecast for the month looks pretty poor, I've a ride planned for next weekend and all being well that will be me done for the year.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • Mission accomplished. Wouldn't have bothered but for the challenge. A warm 4.8 degrees :D
  • Second in, good effort, well done, might have to move South for the month!
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • Mad One wrote:
    Those names in red still need to post a November ride.
    Mad One 24

Done a couple - will get on it, sorry :oops:
    Updated, & with the good weather Sunday am managed a Dec 100 too - so challenge complete :D (Although hoping to add to the total before the years out)

Thats 2 years on the bounce now I've managed it - & this year my focus changed from purely leisure riding to racing too, so if anything its been more difficult fitting 100's in around race prep.

Without this challenge I probably wouldn't have bothered - so thanks Velo, & well done everyone whos given it a go, especially those who have posted the big numbers :D
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Well done those who have already finished - with the state of the roads and temperatures at the moment it looks like being difficult to find a decent dauy to do the December ride - so much ice on the side roads. Mentioned a trip to South of France for the weekend to the wife - not impressed!!
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    Good luck in December everyone.
    Who would be interested in a 2011 chalenge? Same format?
    If there is interest I'll post one up Mid-December, any volunteers to do the monthly updates?
    It's been a great motivator for me, so thanks for all your good work velocitizen. I'm looking forward to doing it again (or for the first time if December is a washout) next year!

Mike
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Home and Hosed! (literally, I got a full sidewash from a 4x4 going through a puddle of melted snow :( )

More rides than last year; but none of them as quick as last year's best three. However, I can say with absolute certainly that I wouldn't have ridden half of them without the incentive of this challenge.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Done. Three years running so quietly pleased with myself today. Probably last chance too as family commitments in the run up to Christmas and going away between Xmas and New Year mean very few days when I could give it another go.

Good luck to everyone.

And Velo if you post up the 2011 challenge I'll do the monthly updates, though I hope you're hanging around with the rule book.

Paul
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    I'm now done for the year (unless I can someow sneak off for half a day over xmas which might be unwise :lol: ).

Thanks for the motivation folks, and see you all back in 2011...

Oh, and I got my first puncture of the year about 400m from home, on what will probably be my last ride of the year :roll:
  • That's me done for the year, tricky riding on frosty roads first thing but improved with the thaw later on.
    Well done to everyone else that has finished, and good luck to those hoping to squeeze a ride in before the end of the month.
    The 2011 challenge will appear soon, I'll be in again.
    I am grateful to pdstsp's for offering to do the monthly updates.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Realistically I only have today or tomorrow to get my December ride done, so given that the roads tomorrow are forecast to be skating rinks I guess my die is cast. Sat here hoping against hope that the rain clears through by about 11/1200 which will give me time to get out and back before it gets dark and starts freezing.

Waiting... waiting... waiting... for the rain to stop...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Get out in the rain, you're waterproof and so is your bike! 8)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I'm technically still 'in' by the way, just haven't been updating here, but all the data is in Sporttracks so I'll count myself as still in the club :lol: I haven't done December's yet as I've been working away and then there was the weather that most of us had to contend with.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    dodgy wrote:
    Get out in the rain, you're waterproof and so is your bike! 8)

Yes, I was!! And snow-proof, later on. Got a puncture - repaired by the side of the A52 in driving sleet, lovely - first one for years which I initially took as a sign to bugger off home, but then realised that even going straight home would be an 80km ride so did a very long loop around the local villages to just creep over the 100km mark. Right foot has just about defrosted now...

Well chuffed - mentally the toughest ride of the year and I (just about) didn't wuss out of it :D
  • Well done, PB Bailing crossed my mind many many times in my last ride but the challenge gives you the incentive to get that 100km no matter how poor the enjoyment factor.
  • Another one safely home for the year, well done Polly botts.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Glad I managed to get a couple of December rides in before the snow. If I'd left it till this weekend that would have been me scuppered for this year.

a serious case of small cogs
  • 2011 Challenge is now open.
    Hope to see you all in again for another 12 months.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • mikeeye
    Done it! I was getting seriously concerned that I'd not manage a December ride, but thankfully the roads thawed out in time for one last run out to the bakery at Exton (well worth a 60 mile bike ride if you're in the area - don't forget your panniers ;-)

Thanks to velocitizen for running this this year. And thanks to pdstsp for volunteering to do the updates for next year.
  • daibhi
    daibhi Posts: 21
    Finally managed it. Attempted it in the snow last week, but it nearly killed me. Only managed 40k and nearly passed out on a local climb. Thanks again velocitizen for the accounting over the last couple of years and good luck to all still in.
  • well i'm out ... in december... and on a day when it was warm enough to get that last one in. opted for 100 MISERABLE km on the turbo, but now looking this over, while not explicit, it does seem it requires being outdoors.

congrats to those who got them all in!!! and a happy new year.
  • Home and dry!!!!!!!!!! Thank funk for that.. I really had lost motivation for a minute there, but with a reasonable day's weather, resolved it had to be done, if only so as to not to have to do it again. And the bloody garmin looped me back to London early, so had to knock about to various friends' houses around town to knock up the last 25 miles, haha, still, it counts!

A thoroughly enjoyable challenge.

Right, time for some booze - congrats all
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • mikeeye
    edited December 2010
    well i'm out ... in december... and on a day when it was warm enough to get that last one in. opted for 100 MISERABLE km on the turbo, but now looking this over, while not explicit, it does seem it requires being outdoors.
    Oh no!! I feel for you bikergirl :-(
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Thanks for taking the time to keep the cogs oiled velocitizen.

Happy New Year to all the Metric guys&gals.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Well done everyone, including those who narrowly missed out getting their 12 for whatever reason - and special thanks to Velo for keeping the thing running for another year.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Congratulations to all those that finished and all those that came close.
    Best of luck in 2011.
    FULL RESULTS TO FOLLOW.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • 2010 Metric Century Challenge results

Airwave 88
    toontra 59
    daibhi 53
    lucky paddy 45
    genki 39
    threelionsbrian 40
    Mad One 32
    pdstsp 26
    pneumatic 18
    velocitizen 17
    Batch78 13
    MikeEye 15
    timmyflash 15
    Pollys Bott 13

Congratulations to all of you for riding through the year.
    Good luck for 2011.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
  • I also fell at the final hurdle.
    Ill since 16th December - and still not able to get out at all (chest infection).
    31 points across the 11 months, so fewer than last year.
    Time to sign up for 2011 and aim for 40 again.
    Thanks for all your work Velo.

Nick
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Fail ... :(