Installing a bash ring?

dandelyon
dandelyon Posts: 145
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.
How do I install a bash ring? is it just a matter of removing the big ring and replacing it with the bash ring? and re-adjusting the cable tension screw on the front mech? My crankset is a Shimano SLX triple. Can the job be done without having to remove the cranks? Can I run the hight gears with the 32T alone as the chain my be slightly destorted?
Thanks for your helpful advices.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    remove the big ring. fit the bash. adjust the outer stop screw.

nothing else is needed. ( presuming no change in the middle cog and the bash is the correct size).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nicklouse, by the "correct size you mean a 32 bash ring for the 32 T middle ring? there is no bash ring thickness size to consider is there ?
    Cheers
  • be aware you may need longer chainring bolts (male part) depending on the thickness of the bash guard you fit

many bash guards are considerably thicker than the large chainring they replace...
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    be aware you may need longer chainring bolts (male part) depending on the thickness of the bash guard you fit

many bash guards are considerably thicker than the large chainring they replace...

This is especially true with plastic ones.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Cheers , what non expensive bash ring that doesn't requires a new set of bolts (unless they come with the ring) would you recommend then? Thanks a lot.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you need them they should come with them. just check.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thel33ter
    E Thirteen and Gamut generally can be found for around £20.

I kept an eye on Ebay and got a nice metal 'Dangerboy' one for about £5. The standard bolts fitted fine.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Steel or aluminium outer ring?

You can grind/file the teeth off respectively (aluminium doesn't grind well, in fact badly, very badly) for a very cheap bashring...
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    is it worth shortening your chain too if you have no outer ring ? :lol:
  • thel33ter
    I didn't, but taking a few links out wont hurt.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Going from a 22/32/42 to 22/32/bash and you should be able to remove 2 pairs of links.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.