Hydration poll

Rigga
Rigga Posts: 939
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
Just a quick poll as im quite curious to know...

Comments

• Rigga
    Mods can someone also add 'both' to the poll answers, i tried this but for some reason it didn't work :?
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Depends - bottle for racing so I dont have to carry the bag for the bladder but if Im going off for a day ride somewhere I'll take my pack / bladder
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • I voted water bottle but tbh it depends what I'm riding. If its a full day out I choose the camelbak everytime with fluid, tools, food and any extra clothing. But when its only a quick nip out for 1 hour or 2 I'll lob the saddlebag on with the just tools and tubes and stick a couple of water bottles in the cages.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    I voted water bottle but tbh it depends what I'm riding. If its a full day out I choose the camelbak everytime with fluid, tools, food and any extra clothing. But when its only a quick nip out for 1 hour or 2 I'll lob the saddlebag on with the just tools and tubes and stick a couple of water bottles in the cages.

This
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Both
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • Dubcat wrote:
    I voted water bottle but tbh it depends what I'm riding. If its a full day out I choose the camelbak everytime with fluid, tools, food and any extra clothing. But when its only a quick nip out for 1 hour or 2 I'll lob the saddlebag on with the just tools and tubes and stick a couple of water bottles in the cages.

This

+1
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I have a few mates who only use bottles, and every one of them has said the immortal words "Oh ****, my bottle's fallen out, can I have a drink from your camelbak?" at least once.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    My bike doesn't even have bottle cage bosses. :D 8)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Camelbak, life is so much easier with it.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Water bottle, but in the bag. I have a bladder at the minute but the hose is too short and the valve leaks badly. I cant be bothered to replace it since im getting on fine with a bottle, to be honest.
  • Fars
    Fars Posts: 26
    Camelbak for everything from 1 hour fitness rides and 5 miles runs to 4 hour+ all day sessions.

I don't notice the weight of 3litres and a selection of tools and i've been caught out too many times over the years without the tools I need to get home.
    Cube LTD Race - 2010
    Specialized Epic Pro - 2006
  • Rigga
    Thanks for the input guys, can anyone recommend a good well priced camelback then?
  • Rigga
    Just seen these on ebay, what do you all reckon....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
  • Uesd bottles for years but have went over to a hydration pack now as i've got sick of muddy(& every thing else that gets kicked up) bottle topsCan carry my tools & everything else I need in the pack which has taken the weight off the bike
    1991 Kona Cinder Cone in Cinder Gold
    www.borders4x4club.co.uk
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I use a hydration pack, as It's easy to a quick sip and then back on peddeling.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • 964rh
    964rh Posts: 72
    Only used my bike on the road at the start and used a bottle.

1st time XC, took a bottle and ordered a bladder when I got back, think I drank more mud and stuff than water.

As I don't get out much I bought a Gelert bladder of ebay for £12 bnwt.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Try to use a bottle or bottles depending on the length of ride or time of year (ones with the cover over the drinking spout). Bag under the seat for inertube and big pockets for supplies.

If I can avoid carrying something on my back all the better.
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    If your using a bottle make sure it has a flip cap thet covers the drinking spout as said above, also make sure it's a good fit as it will do it's best to jump out when you start going fast on the rough stuff.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • despite owning 4 hydration packs of various sizes (I used to ride for Da Kine) and several hydration bladders, I still use a water bottle which I put inside my hydration packs main compartment and provides more than enough water for very energetic 1-1.5 hours rides that I typically do

I just find the water bottle less hassle, easier to keep hygenic on the trail (its covered inside the bag) and in long term use, and easier to fill before going riding (hydration bladders have to be fitted into the pack)

its only if I go out for all-day riding (which is rare with work being so busy) that I'd consider using one of my hydration bladders...
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • If commuting - Bottle

If out for the day - Camelbak

I didn't vote.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Nachimir
    Nachimir Posts: 126
    Both: Bottle for commute because it's 20 miles, Camelbak if I'm going off road for the day.
  • Mooose
    Mooose Posts: 47
    Bottle, as I'm a cheapscape and won't afford myself a camelback, but also like to keep the weight off my back. Additionally secured with a small compression strap to the frame to stop it jumping out.