Cycling clubs in Glasgow (Southside)

screebs
screebs Posts: 178
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
Hope someone out there can help!

I took up cycling just under 2 years ago with the objective of cycling up Mont Ventoux - something i actually achieved only 5 months after taking cycling up.

I have now set myself the challenge of the etapeCaledonia next May and am looking for a suitable cycling club in Glasgow, preferably the Southside.

Like most people relatively new to cycling, the thought of going out on club runds holds a mixture of excitement and severe intrepidation. Excitement, as i normally cycle alone, but have recently started doing some lunchtime cycles with colleagues from my office and Intrepidation as at almost 42 not keeping up with a club run is a possibility.

any experience of clubs in the southside of Glasgow would be much appreciated!
Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Hi mate,

Have a look here

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

Should find something. Pity I've moved out to Ayrshire...used to be in Shawlands.
    You should be able to find a website for a decent club and they'll tell you how they're organised....might have 2 or 3 groups that go on their runs to cater for all abilities.
    You can start off with the slowest and take it from there.

Once you get over the initial run, you're laughing.

If you're cycling with colleagues, are any of them in clubs? Could they be persuaded to join with you?
    Are they doing the etape with you? Could they be persuaded to do it?

Good luck :)
  • lmk1
    lmk1 Posts: 95
    http://www.ctcglasgow.org.uk/

it's not in the south side, and i'm not a member but if the snow clears i was going to join them for the reopening of the airdrie to bathgate run next week. Their runs appear to be twice a month and the mileage builds up, i did joined up with them last year and pace appears relatively relaxed.

I have similiar dilema as also entered etape and conscious of need to get moving over winter
  • screebs
    RC856 wrote:

If you're cycling with colleagues, are any of them in clubs? Could they be persuaded to join with you?
    Are they doing the etape with you? Could they be persuaded to do it? :)

Thanks for the info m8 - my work is not in Glasgow so the other guys are based 40/50 miles away.
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • screebs
    LMK1

Thanks - I had a look at CTC, Glasgow South VC and Glenmarnock. Think I'll just need to go out with one or all of them and see which suits best!
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I used to see the Glasgow South VC guys out quite often and they seemed like a decent bunch.

Id probably consider joining if it wasn't for the lime green outfits :D
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    I used to see the Glasgow South VC guys out quite often and they seemed like a decent bunch.

Id probably consider joining if it wasn't for the lime green outfits :D

They are reminiscent of LIquigas which is better than my club kit. Think, Bananaman!

You have Chryston Wheelers on the South side as well, I think.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Intrepidation

Surely "Trepidation" !
  • You have Chryston Wheelers on the South side as well, I think.

Wrong direction, they are north east of Glasgow.
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    You have Chryston Wheelers on the South side as well, I think.

Wrong direction, they are north east of Glasgow.

My bad, is that the Lenzie type area?
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Nearly, not sure how big the club is now though. The nightingale is a growing club north of Glasgow. Meeting in Torrance on a we'd night.
  • +1 in terms of VC Glasgow South for me...
  • I went out with EK Road Club one Saturday. Only managed to hang on for about 20 miles. I think I might have managed one or two more, but some 'tard couldn't hold his line and I had to grab the brakes - just couldn't get back on to a wheel since I'd just moved to the back after taking a Jens Voigt style pull at the front.

Haven't been out much since then due to crashing, uni work, uni work, uni work and snow. Haven't even had time for the turbo, so fitness has gone down loads.

Once I get it back up though I'm going to give VC Glasgow South a shout. Seem like a good bunch of guys, and not too into their racing like EK.

After that ride with EK my heart and lungs were hurting so bad for two days after. :evil:
  • screebs
    dreamlx10 wrote:
    Intrepidation

Surely "Trepidation" !

Indeed! :oops:
  • The other option, though anathema to many is to tag along with glasgow triathlon club which has runs leaving from Pollok park car park (beside the house not the Burrell) most Saturdays. These are advertised at various levels and may or may not have a coach present
  • I guess Johnstone Wheelers can't be too far away either. I live in Glasgow in the west end but often see them as I ride around Renfrewshire. It shouldn't be too tough for you to head over to Johnstone. Personally, I've just joined a club in Central district because of some friends in the club and its regular rides for "beginners"
  • lmk1
    lmk1 Posts: 95
    I guess Johnstone Wheelers can't be too far away either. I live in Glasgow in the west end but often see them as I ride around Renfrewshire. It shouldn't be too tough for you to head over to Johnstone. Personally, I've just joined a club in Central district because of some friends in the club and its regular rides for "beginners"

What's the club in central district with beginners runs? if you don't mind me asking
  • Stirling BC have three groups on a Saturday:
    a fast group, a medium paced group and a development/social group. At least once a month there appears to be an emphasis on "development" to help newbies with their group riding skills and speed. I've been on a few of these and it tends to run for 40miles at around 15-16mph.
  • screebs
    BlueScot wrote:
    Stirling BC have three groups on a Saturday:
    a fast group, a medium paced group and a development/social group. At least once a month there appears to be an emphasis on "development" to help newbies with their group riding skills and speed. I've been on a few of these and it tends to run for 40miles at around 15-16mph.

That sounds ideal, but given i work in Stirling from Monday to Friday, i really don't fancy having to go up the A80 on a Saturday when i don't have to! :P
  • Why dont you try out the Glenmarnock wheelers.

We cater for all levels of riders male and female. Race and leisure.
    You will be looked after and never left behind.

We will makesure you feel at ease right away. We have a spread of ages and are a very sociable club.

Check out the website :glenmarnockwheelers.co.uk