Is this a wise choice, first single speed???

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
Afer a nasty accident last year I've lost downwards vision, which has screwed up my mtb riding, always fancied a single speed so I'm buying one of these - http://www.lfgss.com/thread54840.html for road miles as I still enjoy cycling.

Built bike minus chain, brakes & tyres for £320, will I regret buying it & wish I'd gone for gear. No racing, just pleasure riding.
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• Depends on your philosophy on life. If you want a maintainless bike, it'll be great, so long as you realise that as soon as a hill approaches you have to start battling.

I've owned a SS MTB and found it great. I found I soon accepted I had to prepare well in advance hills. The only real cravat is the gearing which is frustrating as you find it's either going to be too high or too low.

If I had space in my house I'd buy a road SS without a doubt. It could go years without seeing a LBS.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Well, I've always fancied one & I need the excersise so hills will, in the long run, be a good thing. Just need to think about gearing
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    44/16 is good enough for me around Brizzle including a lung busting race up Park Street. As for freewheels, buy Shimano or White Industries, don't go for the cheap £10 items. I've killed them within a week whereas my last Shimano is still going strong over 12 months down the line.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I wouldn't buy it. It's missing things like pedals and handlebars. It's gonna be hard to ride. 8)
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    Depends on your philosophy on life. If you want a maintainless bike, it'll be great, so long as you realise that as soon as a hill approaches you have to start battling.

I've owned a SS MTB and found it great. I found I soon accepted I had to prepare well in advance hills. The only real cravat is the gearing which is frustrating as you find it's either going to be too high or too low.

If I had space in my house I'd buy a road SS without a doubt. It could go years without seeing a LBS.

cravat eh? i prefer a bow tie on my SS.
  • well, I bought it, couldn't resist!!!!

Juat need t find a decent front brake now (can't fit rear)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • alex16zx wrote:

LOL, try spelling after a few whiskys and a slog of Vodka...tonight's the only time I'll have to myself for the next week.

Craveat it should be.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    alex16zx wrote:
    Depends on your philosophy on life. If you want a maintainless bike, it'll be great, so long as you realise that as soon as a hill approaches you have to start battling.

It better be a SELF TIE bow-tie. If it's qucky velcro one, you'll be buying a round of drinks.. :wink:
  • Don't you mean caveat???
  • redvee
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    well, I bought it, couldn't resist!!!!

I might have a calliper for you, but you'll have to locata a pair of levers.
  • redvee wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    well, I bought it, couldn't resist!!!!

I might have a calliper for you, but you'll have to locata a pair of levers.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I found a Shimano 105 chep on fleabay
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • redvee
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Thanks for the kind offer, but I found a Shimano 105 chep on
    fleabay

Just as well as I had a rear calliper and was going to swap the mechanism to the front bolt but said bolt is KO'd though you could have used the rear with a longer nut from the likes of SJSC.