Mountain biking lessons

ljs1977
ljs1977 Posts: 247
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
Right, I am 33 and can ride a bike, mostly.

I have only been for a quick trip through the forest and the last time I got properly muddy I think I was 15.

I am going to be trail centre riding next year hopefully quite a bit. the likes of Sherwood Pines and Cannock so nothing too hardcore as I have a massive mortgage and I have to pay it!

Would a lesson from my LBS (Sherwood pines) be worth while before I either a) hurt my self b) break the bike or c) learn bad habits?

Cheers

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Lessons can help

These guys get great reviews: http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I've never paid for lessons so far - but I have had friends teach and show me the basics. I am riding Cannock Chase most weeks, and I've done Sherwood pines too. I think lessons are a great way of being instructed how to do things the right way, and as a result of that you may have more fun.
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • If you think lessons may help then go for it.
    We went on a 1 day course near us in the summer and it was really useful, even to the minor things like pointing out little errors in our attack position that were knocking us off balance.
    Plus we got home-work to carry on with to help with balance etc.

Have fun!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    Andy B wrote:
    Lessons can help

These guys get great reviews: http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/

thanks for the recommend
  • Check out www.thebikeschool.net for mountain bike skills courses on Cannock Chase, with a video of our courses on the front page!
    Thanks
  • Bike lessons are defo recommened! I'm very new to "proper" offroad biking and it was a great way to learn from an early stage!

If Sherwood Pines is your local and theres some lessons there, go for it!

You won't look back! I recently had a lesson with Chase Skills who are based on Cannock Chase and it was the best bit of dollar I've spent. Theres so much more to riding that you can imagine and what I liked was the way the physics about whats going on was explained!

Even though you are talking about Sherwood (yet to ride there, I've heard it's not as technical as Cannock, but still looking forward to trying it out), if you ride Cannock then can say nothing bad about these guys. I'm sure I saw somewhere that they are also running a free Taster Day sometime in December. Their website is www.chaseskills.co.uk
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I used to teach advanced motorbikes and a lot of the theory (particularly the off-road stuff) crosses over, so I haven't bothered with lessons.

I would say learning from an expert will be a wise investment, but make sure they are a good teacher as well as a good rider. If they can't communicate they wont be able to teach you anything

Simple things like braking, grip dynamic etc are not always obvious.
    Plus a lot of people have no concept basic safety like being able to stop in the distance they can see is clear.
  • You have a good point about level position i think its the most funder mental and overlook part of bike set-up ie wrong brake level position means your wrist are in a weak position and make the easiest things hard to learn. Your right about choosing a instructor with good teaching skills but also "the proof is in the pudding"
  • Jedi
    Riding bikes is easier than people make out.
  • slightly off topic but where is the location of the wallride circular type northshore in the main picture on the website?
  • Jedi
    its at herts shore where i coach/build/ride
    thats just a wooden berm. i have 2 vert wall rides at herts too :)