Footwear

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
I ride on flat pedals and currently wear Raichle Gore Tex trainers. Don't stop me getting wet and cold! Last night tried Sealskinz Socks over merino socks, and it kept feet dry, but was a little chilly - was about -3C at 9pm on the moors.

What I am looking for is the perfect footwear. Not going to change from flats, so don't give me any SPD choices....

Sealskinz are good, but what could i wear as outers to keep me warm and dry? It will be MTBing at night, through gloriously muddy and wet conditions, some of the best trails near Glasgow you can get.

I was thinking of some sort of baseball type shoe, giving more rain proofness...

Any thoughts?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    MP66s are warm and toasty and will shrug off showers etc but I imagine they will eventually leak in Scottish rain :)

Have also got some Five Ten Impacts which are more burly and I guess the Line Kings and Impact Hi would be more of the same thing.

Maybe some AM41s when they come out?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What's your budget? You could get a stealth sole put onto another shoe... Not all winter cycling shoes will take to that well though, depends on the sole design but if funds allow it'd be a good way to go.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Northwind wrote:
    What's your budget? You could get a stealth sole put onto another shoe... Not all winter cycling shoes will take to that well though, depends on the sole design but if funds allow it'd be a good way to go.

Stealth soles put onto furry-lined wellies sounds like the way forward!!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    I use trainers with flats also - in winter I stick neoprene overshoes on them, currently the Endura MT500 ones.

Overshoe sizing assumes an SPD shoe, non-SPD shoes have a much bigger sole profile for the same shoe size - I get overshoes "next size up" to be sure of getting them onto trainers.

Obviously if you walk any distance in them they will get trashed really quickly, but on the bike they are toasty warm and work perfectly well with flats if you get an "open sole" design.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Just read my own post....

Not "stick" as in "glue", "stick" as in "put". They stay on fine without glue!
  • Northwind
    Steve_F wrote:
    Stealth soles put onto furry-lined wellies sounds like the way forward!!

Ooh nice! I was thinking a nice pair of fisherman's waders.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    No budget contraints, but obviously don't want to spend loads on something that will get trashed in the mudfest that is Mugdock. On the other hand if it is worth it to keep me dry and warm, then happy to fork out.

Overshoes may be an option, I use them on the Road bike and am happy with them.
    Might get a pair to wear over trainers...... hmmmmmmm.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Can't recommend any but I can tell you Vans don't keep your feet warm. Mine are freezing sitting in the office even with two pairs of socks on :evil:
  • I've never had any issues with my gore-tex merrells other than the soles tend to only last 9months to a year of mtbing.

Pretty much the only thing that keeps my feet warm is the above with merino socks, big woolly ones that you could choke a donkey on...

Sealskinz don't really work for me, i've had a couple of sets but have given up on them tbh. The merino seems to work a lot better, even if you get wet you stay warm and then it is just a case of keeping the wind out, which the shoes do well.
  • I ride flats too and been looking around. Im pursuaded by shimano am40 shoes and probably gonna order some. Reviews state the the high inside ankle and velcro lace cover helps keep water and mud out.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-09-34063
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • Northwind
    AM40s are probably the best off-the-peg cycle specific shoes out there just now... But even they're not massively weatherproof. Miles better than 5 10s for that but still not up to the level of winter SPD shoes. Weird that nobody makes one really, flats and winter go together like a horse and skidding crashing carriage
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Personally I only ride flat. The AM40s are great. I usually wear Merino socks as well. Got to keep warm, especially where I'm living right now.

plumpy wrote:
    I use trainers with flats also - in winter I stick neoprene overshoes on them, currently the Endura MT500 ones. Overshoe sizing assumes an SPD shoe, non-SPD shoes have a much bigger sole profile for the same shoe size - I get overshoes "next size up" to be sure of getting them onto trainers.

I've just got some Endura MT500 overshoes. I really struggled to fit the L size (for size 9-10) over my size 9 Timberland trainers. They are on, but not coming off now!
    Wish I read this first, as I should have got the XL size.
    The overshoes work extremely well. Feet are now warm and dry. Well worth the £20.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • I've got a pair of Fiveten Impact lows, and they keep my feet nice and toasty as well as dry. I've actually been wearing them in the snow and they're fine! And you could always stick a pair of overshoes on... :)
    Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
    08 Orange 224
  • JDRfive wrote:
    I've got a pair of Fiveten Impact lows, and they keep my feet nice and toasty as well as dry. I've actually been wearing them in the snow and they're fine! And you could always stick a pair of overshoes on... :)

+1

I use 5.10s as well great shoe, have used it for over year now with v12's. They've worn well with the sole still in tiptop condition.
  • PAD20959
    PAD20959 Posts: 109
    FiveTean Impact Hi's are doing a grand job for me in this weather! Bonus that they stick to my DMR V12's glue. Awesome!

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
    Specialized Carve Pro 2013
    Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 2014
  • Anybody ever tried walking gaiters on a bike? They're designed to keep out the crap but also keep the "wear" areas clear - something I'd imagine overshoes don't do so well (my Endura MTB overshoes with kevlar etc etc only lasted about 300 miles (10 days...) of commuting before they fell to bits - and that was with SPDs).

There seems to be a gap in the market for some great winter "flat" boots along the lines of the Shimano MW & RW 80s.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH