Replacement Cantis

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited December 2010 in The workshop
Any suggestions on an upgrade from the Altus / Acera cantilever brakes that came with this hardtail?

I was looking at the Avid shorty range 4 or 6 but not sure of either, as there seem to be issues with them squealing

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    are the levers switchable between Canti and V´s? have a look at where the cable barrel fits.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gbsahne001
    Unfortunately not; V brakes weren't around in 96 / 97
  • nicklouse
    yes they were. they were launched in ´96.

and many of the lever makers were doing dual use levers.

re the squealing change the pads.

but I would look to a V brake set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • gbsahne001
    OK, didn't know that; looking at the brake lever I think it's canti only, as the cable connects to a link which is then connected to the lever.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Got the Avid 6s. Yep, they squeal, but they've not been as bad this year. Cleaning the rims and pads regularly seems to work.

@Nicklouse - do you know if the Avids take the MTB Koolstops? If so, I'll buy these next.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nicklouse
    yep they use the current MTB shoes.

shorty6-hero.jpg

as can be seem here.
  • cjcp
    Hmm. I've got a different model of Shorty 6s. Will give them a shot anyway; if they don't fit, I'll fit them to my mtb. Cheers, Nick.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The canti/V-brake compatibility thing is about the amount of cable pulled by the brake lever. V brakes require more cable pull. Most MTB style levers pull sufficient cable to operate V brakes. Only road style brake levers are limitted to cantilevers (eg touring and cyclo-cross bikes).
    The straddle cable arrangement is for canti brakes but this is only a cable and can be replaced with a VB setup.

The best cantilever brake on the market is probably tektro CR520.
  • gbsahne001
    found a cheap set of Deore LX "V"s on fleabay, as I've looked at the wife's v brake set up and the levers look identical to the ones on this bike.

Thanks for the advice
  • nicklouse
    gbsahne
    looks can be very deceptive.

if yours are used with cantis and there is no V setting then they are no suitable.

But I would swap out the levers and cantis for Vs in a flash (gears allowing).

see here

1354.gif
  • gbsahne001
    Well I've measured the amount of cable that the canti brake pulls and it seems to be the same as the wife's V brake set up.

Swapping the brake out for the £2.98 (CR) unit doesn't work as the current set up is a combo gear / brake unit.
  • gbsahne001
    MichaelW wrote:
    The best cantilever brake on the market is probably tektro CR520.

Fairly sure I've got that on the CX but it's too wet and miserable outside to take a peek
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Shimano STi controls on my daughters have 2 holes, one for canti pull and one for V.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    gbsahne wrote:
    Well I've measured the amount of cable that the canti brake pulls and it seems to be the same as the wife's V brake set up.

Swapping the brake out for the £2.98 (CR) unit doesn't work as the current set up is a combo gear / brake unit.

the pull ratio is different. Fact. how much that is actually pulled it totally different.

V brakes with canti levers ends up with lots of brake rub or levers hitting the bars.

Cantis with V brake levers ends up with brakes that feel like wood and the need for hands with serious strength to stop a bike.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you don't need the clearances for mud e.g. non-CX and using flat-bar levers then suggest you swap to Vees - easier to install and adjust.
    In terms of the best cantilevers - probably Pauls, Avid Ultimates or TRP CR950s. Just got some 950s in carbon for my cross bike
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gbsahne001
    a bit late now, as frame/ bike now written off.... 2 minutes silence plse..
  • cjcp
    Bugger. What happened?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gbsahne001
    rear end clipped by a car last week; now stuck at home due to Heathrow being closed