MTB in snow

random man
random man Posts: 1,518
edited December 2010 in The bottom bracket
There was too much snow to consider going out on the road today so I got the MTB out of the shed for the first time in three months for some fun in the snow.

I really enjoyed it, it made a refreshing change. Unexpected snowdrifts were an issue, as was snow in the gears which caused the chain to slip in the higher cogs (luckily I didn't seem to need them much!).
I did start to doubt my sanity as I was heading uphill towards a big black cloud that looked certain to be a blizzard but saw another MTBer coming towards me - wearing SHORTS!

I'd rather get out on the road but it made a nice change.

Comments

• Aye - MTBing in snow is brilliant fun. I got a load of abuse on the MTB board last year because I disagreed with everyone who was saying riding in snow is too dangerous.

Who'd have thunk it? Roadies being more adventurous than MTBers? :wink:
  • random man wrote:
    There was too much snow to consider going out on the road today so I got the MTB out of the shed for the first time in three months for some fun in the snow.

I really enjoyed it, it made a refreshing change. Unexpected snowdrifts were an issue, as was snow in the gears which caused the chain to slip in the higher cogs (luckily I didn't seem to need them much!).
    I did start to doubt my sanity as I was heading uphill towards a big black cloud that looked certain to be a blizzard but saw another MTBer coming towards me - wearing SHORTS!

Oh aarrh! you bugger off out on ya mountain bike and I don't get so much as an invite, that's mates for ya an all an all. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Definitely going out on the MTB tomorrow. :o
    The roads around here are really appalling but had the dogs out an hour and a half ago and encountered a group of lads on cyclo-cross bikes who seemed to be both having a ball and making light work of the fairly deep snow.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    random man wrote:

Oh aarrh! you bugger off out on ya mountain bike and I don't get so much as an invite, that's mates for ya an all an all. :wink:

Sorry Frank - I thought you'd be cyclocross racing :wink:
  • random man wrote:
    random man wrote:

Sorry Frank - I thought you'd be cyclocross racing :wink:

Touche. :)
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Tried the MTB last year when there was huge amounts of snow and found that SPD pedals are useless as they completely clogged up with ice fairly fast. Flat pedals this year will sort that out :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • I tried in deep snow with my ice spikers fitted last year and my rear wheel just spun. It was great in a couple of inches but 6-8" and it was hopeless
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Best thing about riding an MTB in the snow / hard frost is that you don't spend the rest of the day cleaning the fecker! 8)

Excelllent fun though and a nice change to road. So much so that I'm doing the Thetford 2 Hour Enduro next Sunday........bring it on.
  • Went out in the hills on my MTB this afternoon, beautiful day, and great fun!

Off to the velodrome soon for a 3 hours session! Get In!

• andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Did a 3hr snow fest this morning. I can't remember being as cold. Camelback froze, finger tips felt as though they would drop off. Warmed up I got going. Stayed upright & when I got home I felt like I'd done twice the mileage. Defrosted bike & lathered it in GT85.

A good day!
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Yup, I did 2 1/2 hours on Sunday morning.

Crystal clear, zero wind, -5C, the sun was just rising....and a total lack of sensation in my fingers!

Bob
  • No snow in Manchester whatsoever
  • it's back for a bit more snow.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Tried it for the dog walk, couldn't make much headway once the snow was much above the bottom bracket. Mind you my MTB is a cheap one with the standard tyres fitted, they have no real grip at all.
  • My ride today with pictures.....................:

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/today-i-did-get-out-t10662.html

Bikes rubbished now............. :roll:
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I commuted through Sheffield on my mtb today. Almost no traffic. It was ace :D
    More problems but still living....
  • Wappygixer wrote:

Coooool 8)
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Dunk_911
    Dunk_911 Posts: 239
    I got snowed in and couldnt drive to work so i went on a bike ride instead. Strangely the prospect of riding in to work didnt attract me as much as slithering around Carsington, so i got to carsington and the track was about two feet deep in snow so i had to abort!

76034_10150318926630136_812725135_15951533_1393996_n.jpg
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    amaferanga wrote:
    I commuted through Sheffield on my mtb today. Almost no traffic. It was ace :D

Same here, bit of spray without mudguards, but other than that, all good.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Had a couple of runs on the Blue(Orange) at Laggan a couple of years back in the snow.
    Car park was over a foot deep, even more at the top, great fun on the first run down when it was all clear so no rails to get stuck in but by the 2nd run it was getting too easy to be stuck following someone elses route. Few times was well off the trail as well.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days