Cube Rear Hub - (Shimano?) Rumblings!!

jim321
jim321 Posts: 7
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, has anyone else experienced premature rumble from the rear hub? Acquired my Ltd Race in May and already the rear bearings sound worn. They are marketed as low maintenance!!
Is this a supplier problem, or....???

Cheers
J

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like they need a service.

when were they last serviced?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well, as I bought it new in May I thought it would certainly do a few hundred miles before it needed a service?

didn't think I'd need to strip it down and re-pack every couple or three months!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the rear hub?
  • Fars
    Fars Posts: 26
    Sounds like you haven't done any major upgrades on your LTD Race, so the wheelset should be a Sunringle Ryde XMB.

So a very basic hub with a half decent rim, finding info on these pre-builds online is a pain in the behind.

Personally i'd just deal with the bearings yourself, either at home or via a LBS.

Bearings do wear out, they might have been a poor original build, they might have gotten contaminated or you might ride 500 miles a week.

6 months seems short, but corners do get cut and you don't get top notch wheels on £1000 bikes, just pretty good ones.

For the time and trouble you'd have pursuing anything via supplier on a high wear part you'll get a quicker fix dealing yourself IMO.
    Cube LTD Race - 2010
    Specialized Epic Pro - 2006
  • Hey, thanks guy's.

Just wondering if anybody else had this and is a known fault. Bike is back with the shop I'll find out what the score is tomorrow.

Your probably right, I'll get it serviced or upgrade to a 'decent' part.

Cheers
  • Fars
    Fars Posts: 26
    Bit of grease and a few bearings should be all that's needed mate :)
    Cube LTD Race - 2010
    Specialized Epic Pro - 2006
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fars wrote:
    Bit of grease and a few bearings should be all that's needed mate :)
    And quicker than a couple of trips to the shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fars wrote:
    Sounds like you haven't done any major upgrades on your LTD Race, so the wheelset should be a Sunringle Ryde XMB.

This is correct. Mine went tits up on a recent 3 day trip across Wales :roll: Took it into my LBS and they said it would be a simple bearing swap and was going to cost circa £6 total.

Well thats what should of happened - until they rang me to say they had broken 2 chain whips trying to get the cassette off and the lockring as stuck hard! Since then I have ridden with a knackered hub and have since dented my rim big time!

New wheel time me thinks - sure this won't happen to you though :)

EDIT: The hub had been run for 18 months or so.