Whats the difference between Megaexo & BB30??

dirtymonkey1985
dirtymonkey1985 Posts: 529
edited December 2010 in Workshop
This may sound like a stupid question but i'm upgrading my chainset and i haven't got a clue what the difference is between the two!
:?

Comments

• Different standards, mega-exo is an external bottom bracket with cups that sit outside the frame and BB30 is an integrated system where the bearings fit directly into the BB shell of the frame.

What frame?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Isn't Mega Exo what FSA use?

BB30 requires a different frame configuration. (Either your frame was built to that size or it wasn't, although you can get an adapter to fix a BB30 crankset to a standard size frame)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Pokerface wrote:
    Isn't Mega Exo what FSA use?

BB30 requires a different frame configuration. (Either your frame was built to that size or it wasn't, although you can get an adapter to fix a BB30 crankset to a standard size frame)
    Yes. It is FSA.
    I think the adapters are for BB30 frames with HT2 or similar cranks. They sleeve the shell down.
  • Thanks for that. It's a ribble gran fondo frame with hope ceramic bottom bracket. I just didn't want to buy and find i'd got the wrong choice.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    My Pinarello has a Most BB30, which I believe is made by FSA (just different crank arms?) How do you remove the cranks? Can't find anything on the web. One side has an Allen headed cap.............

Cheers

PP
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Captive bolt - simply unscrew with an Allen key
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..