Pedals 105 v Ultegra

kingderham
kingderham Posts: 206
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
I have just bought my first pair of clipless peddles, shimano 105, besides the weight difference and a slightly bigger platform for your foot is there much difference?
There was also a £50.00 price difference.
A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
Trek 1.2compact

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I had a set of 105, but recently replaced them with Ultegra (bought on special offer). To be honest, the Ultegra are a bit better engineered, but probably not worth the extra.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I know the Ultegra ones have a metal platform. Seem to remember that being another difference, but maybe wrong.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • JD_76
    JD_76 Posts: 236
    Got the black 105's on mine, they have a metal platform also.

Nice wide pedal, the spindles and bearings are the same as the Ultegra, only real difference is the marginal weight saving and looks.

Plus you may want to get the set that matches your groupset - I have black 105 so went for black 105 pedals to match.
  • tigerben
    tigerben Posts: 233
    I have 105 pedals on Ultegra groupset - works fine, absolutely no complaints.

I was not bothered about the immaterial weight difference or subtle design tweaks and whilst it would have been nice to match I was unwilling to pay £50 for the privilege.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It's more like 30 quid difference. I have both and the ultegras seem a little bit easier to get in and out but there's not much in it.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • I've got the Dura Ace 7810's and 7800's and I don't really find much difference between the 2.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've got Ultegra from a few years ago whilst the rest of the group is 105. I bought the pedals in late 07 and at that time Ultegra was about £55ish I think, now they seem to be £80 and over! Shows how much bike prices have jumped!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Thanks for the replys
    Admitedly you can buy the ultegra peddles for under £100.00 of the internet, but i do feel we need to support the LBS, my LBS gives me discount and will fix the peddles to the bike, cleats to the shoes, change my tyres and give the bike a really good service, it would be a shame to see them go as the internet dont do this.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Fair enough supporting your LBS but here is a good link to a website that will teach you how to do all those things yourself, you can spend the money saved on bling things like RS80s (from your LBS):

http://bicycletutor.com/guide/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Pedals everyone! PEDALS! To peddle is to sell something... And whilst we're at it, it's brakes not breaks....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.