shimano tiagra

Snowy.g
Snowy.g Posts: 2
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hi there i have bought a specialized allez double with an 8speed cassette with a tiagra rear mech, would it be possible to put a 9speed cassette on or would i have to change the tiagra mech also?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    your mech will work fine but presumably your shifters are 8 speed?
  • If the current cassette is 8 speed, then surely the shifters and chain are also 8 speed otherwise it wouldn`t work?? :? To change to a 9 speed cassette you`ll also need 9 speed shifters and a 9 speed chain, the mechs will work fine.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Do you know what kind of shifters you have ? If they are also tiagra then you should be ok going to nine speed.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Twostage wrote:
    Do you know what kind of shifters you have ? If they are also tiagra then you should be ok going to nine speed.

why? new shifter(s) RH at least will also be needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    nicklouse wrote:
    Twostage wrote:

Maybe I didn't put it right. What I'm trying to say is that if they have tiagra shifters then these are already 9 speed.
  • Twostage wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Twostage wrote:

Maybe I didn't put it right. What I'm trying to say is that if they have tiagra shifters then these are already 9 speed.

Unlikely to be 9 speed shifters with an 8 speed cassette currently fitted.

Having a trawl through the Spesh archive, to get an Allez Double, with Tiagra rear mech on a bike with 8 speed shifters, you`ve gotta go back a number of years, (unless the bike`s had different parts fitted later in life, in which case it could be any model, with anything fitted) OP needs to come up with the info if he wants specific help :?
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2