Help please! Someone...Anyone...

lewishamilton
lewishamilton Posts: 138
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Here's the situation.
Over the past couple of months I've been buying the necessary bits n bobs for my first build and for some reason I decided against buying jagwire or gore ride on cable set.

I've hit a wall with regards to cables!
Currently, I have gear + brake cable (including outers) and donuts.

Looking through various threads and sheldon brown, there doesn't seem to be a definitive guide that I can find to assist me.

My question is what else do I need to install the cables?

1) I know I need ferrules (i believe Sram utilises 5.8mm ferrules) where can I get this size from?
2) Do I need sealed ferrules?
3) Are ferrules and end caps the same thing? If not, do I need end caps?
4) Should i use metal or plastic ferrules?
5) Barrel adjusters - Do i need them?
6) Connecting cable required?

P.S. If it makes any difference, I'm using Sram Rival groupset on a carbon frame with internal cabling along the top tube.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Should have gone for Jagwire ;)
  • Hindsight is a beautiful thing
  • All my inner cables get a cable end cap crimped over the end. You get different sizes and styles of these. I am a nerd, so the (thicker gauge) brake cable inners have big end caps, and the gear cables have smaller ones.

As for outers, I always fit ferrules at the ends. I do not squash or crimp these in any way. If the outer cable I use has a sealed end cap, then I generally use them.

Good cable cutters ain't cheap, and the better versions can usually crimp as well.
  • Park Tools cable cutters are excellent (will always do a pretty good job) but the best cable cutter is the disc tool on a Dremmel.

As for what you need I'd go and look at a bike in a bike shop to work out roughly how many of each end cap etc you need.
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    If you don't use a ferrule, the cable outer can start to 'mushroom' and this buggers up yer indexing. This will only happen when you need it least and cannot do anything about it due to lack of ferrule/tools. Go on, ask me how I know....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

1) I know I need ferrules (i believe Sram utilises 5.8mm ferrules) where can I get this size from?
    2) Do I need sealed ferrules?
    3) Are ferrules and end caps the same thing? If not, do I need end caps?
    4) Should i use metal or plastic ferrules?
    5) Barrel adjusters - Do i need them?
    6) Connecting cable required?

1. Ferrules are a standard size - either for brake or gear cables.
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. Plastic won't rust :)
    5. No
    6. No idea what this means.

Go to any bike shop and ask them for some end caps/ferrules. They will probably give them to you.

(I think I have all the answers correct)
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    I think he probably meant cable end caps as in the crimp on caps to stop the cable end fraying. In which case, he'll need ferrules and end caps. BTW, brake outer and gear outer ferrules are different sizes.
  • Cheers chaps
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Ive reused old ferrules in the past - but that was me being a bit of a skank.

You could just ask in your LBS and they'll give you everything you need in a little brown paper bag.