Time Machine

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited December 2010 in Pro race
Let’s say I had just invented a time machine and you each get a ticket for a return journey to watch a single day of racing from the history books, what race/moment would you like to go and watch?

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Lemond v Fignon on the Champs Elysees
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Good question. 1984 Tour de France stage to Guzet Neige.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    1993 Paris - Roubaix or 87 Tour at La Plagne
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    The 1904 Tour de France, for two reasons:

1. To see what cycling was really like in the beginning
    2. To witness the Wacky Races style blatant cheating

(Not a single day, but still...)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gavia stage of the '88 Giro. With some warm clothes, obviously! Or maybe the '94 Paris Roubaix...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Lemond on the final day win and Roche chasing Del gado up the mountain and remember to record the highlights on channel4 of the lemond win.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Roche to La Plagne or any of Charly Gaul's epic rides.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I'll dig out an Edwardian outfit and join Richard in the 1904 tifosi.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Champs Elysees in July 2012 to see World Champ Cav get his Points Jersey.
  • Coppi winning the World Championship in front of the white Lady or Kelly descending the Poggio to catch Argentin in Milan-San Remo.
    Or Merckx drunk and imersonating Elvis after Boardmans Hour Record ride (apparently).
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    The penultimate stage at the1985 Vuelta, with a bag of pesetas to pay for the necessary support.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    edited December 2010
    Merckx on his debut TdF when he did the big breakaway tghro' the Pyrenees and finally scooped all the jersies or really any of his great rides. Hinault at Liege thro' the snow or any of his great victories.

Bartali/Coppi working together on the I'zoard or that epic of Anquetil/Poulidor riding mano a mano up the Puy de Dome. What about the Roubaix where Mapei finished 1/2/3? So many when you think about it even tho' they may have been 'enhanced'
    M.Rushton
  • 1913- The famous broken forks incident. When men were men and you couldnt find a blacksmith when you needed one...

"I plunged full speed towards the valley. According to Henri Desgrange's calculation, I was then heading the general classification with a lead of 18 minutes. So, I was going full speed. All of a sudden, about ten kilometres from Ste-Marie-de-Campan down in the valley, I feel that something is wrong with my handlebars. I cannot steer my bike any more. I pull on my brakes and I stop. I see my forks are broken. Well, I tell you now that my forks were broken but I wouldn't say it at the time because it was bad publicity for my sponsor.
    And there I was left alone on the road. When I say the road, I should say the path. All the riders I had dropped during the climb soon caught me up. I was weeping with anger. I remember I heard my friend Petit-Breton shouting as he saw me, 'Ah, Cri-Cri, poor old lad.'
    I was getting angry. As I walked down, I was looking for a short cut. I thought maybe one of those pack trails would lead me straight to Ste-Marie-de-Campan. But I was weeping so badly that I couldn't see anything. With my bike on my shoulder, I walked for more than ten kilometres"
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.