Cable covers?

richtw
richtw Posts: 118
edited November 2010 in Workshop
I have an annoying piece of plastic over the exposed section of my rear brake cable - vibrates at speed....... Does it do anything and if I remove it will the cable damage the finish on the carbon frame?

Thanks

Comments

• ask your LBS for cable donuts, then fit over the plastic...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ^ what he says if it is the inner wire rattling - donuts will sort you out.

If you mean the outer - you need something like this

http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP5245.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_medium%3dsite%26utm_campaign%3dDFR

Hope that helps

Marcus
  • richtw
    richtw Posts: 118
    Don't think I have explained myself clearly, the outer breaks at the start of the top tube, then there is an exposed brake cable that has had a loose piece of thin plastic slipped over it down the length of the top tube, before it reaches the rear lug and goes back into the outer down to the rear brake.

The outers are fine, it is the annoying loose piece of plastic that is in question - is it there to protect the finish on the frame, or just for aesthetic reasons so the silver inner appears black along the top tube?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Richtw wrote:
    Don't think I have explained myself clearly, the outer breaks at the start of the top tube, then there is an exposed brake cable that has had a loose piece of thin plastic slipped over it down the length of the top tube, before it reaches the rear lug and goes back into the outer down to the rear brake.

The outers are fine, it is the annoying loose piece of plastic that is in question - is it there to protect the finish on the frame, or just for aesthetic reasons so the silver inner appears black along the top tube?

Hi there

Donuts for the inner
  • No, the plastic doesn't need to be there. Cable donuts do the same job.

It is really to stop the top tube from being scuffed if, for example, you pick the bike up with your hands placed under the top tube - the brake inner can scuff the top tube as it rubs against it.