Alternative to Shimano Hollowtech BB

kilo
kilo Posts: 174
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Can anybody reccomend an alternative to Shimano hollowtech bottom brackets. Not overly impressed with the life of mine so might try a different make. I am not after a ceramic BB just bog standard level.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Token.
    Hope.
    Enduro.
    First.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Might be a case of bad luck or bad maintenance as Shimano road BB are fairly durable for the money.
    Besides, a BB that doesn't last ten years is probably a good thing as it doesn't have the time to seize in the frame for good.
    They're cheap, they're easy to install, if they last 5000 miles, as they do, that's good enough for me.
    Don't think other brands will offer better products for similar money
    left the forum March 2023
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I would also agree that the Shimano BB's are usually durable and a good bargain. If you want to attempt to install some better bearings in the Shimano cups yourself and save a few quid, try here. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id227.html I'm fairly certain they have a distributor in the UK as well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Might be a case of bad luck or bad maintenance as Shimano road BB are fairly durable for the money.
    Besides, a BB that doesn't last ten years is probably a good thing as it doesn't have the time to seize in the frame for good.
    They're cheap, they're easy to install, if they last 5000 miles, as they do, that's good enough for me.
    Don't think other brands will offer better products for similar money

+1
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    fit some skf bearings to it.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/68052RS-6805-2RS- ... 2558fa0acb
    phil wood uses skf. these are the size.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    +1 for Shimano BB's. My 105 one lasted for over 5000 miles and I have recently changed it for an Ultegra one. £20 is pretty good vfm and they are so easy to change over, 7 mins from start to finish.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I'd be hacked off at 5000 miles - that'd be two a year for me but even if it lasted the year I find it annoying that parts are made to be so disposable. Buy hope, fit and forget. Or swap back to square taper.
  • Graham G wrote:
    I'd be hacked off at 5000 miles - that'd be two a year for me but even if it lasted the year I find it annoying that parts are made to be so disposable. Buy hope, fit and forget. Or swap back to square taper.

That is one way of seeing it... reality is most old square taper BB are seized in the frame (look how many frames on Ebay are on sale stripped off everything but the BB). It is then more of a hassle to get that out, rather than replacing a modern "disposable" BB every now and then.
    As said, these days 20-30 pounds in cycling gear is nothing and that's how much one of these cost. If you treat it well, clean it and service, it might even do 10,000 miles
    left the forum March 2023
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Graham G wrote:

I can see your point of view and compared to the 20yo BB I took out of my old Raleigh a year or two back it isn't an improvement. However the HT2 BB is a lot lighter and far,far easier to replace I figure it an expense thats worth it.