Lee Westwood
Amy Williams

Cav got a few nominations...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_ ... um=twitter

Would love to see him get it!

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    For sporting excellence year after year it has to go to Phil Taylor or AP McCoy.

Tony's got a good chance I reckon. It's a pretty weak field.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    David Haye or AP McCoy would be my guess as the winner
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :oops:
    Just had to Google AP McCoy.

He sounds like favourite to win by all accounts.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    :oops:
    Just had to Google AP McCoy.

That's why I don't think he will win, same reason Cav won't. I like to think Haye will walk it due to being Heavyweight Champion of the World but even that has lost its shine over the last few years.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Not one nomination for Chrissie Wellington. So I won't be watching this year as a protest - that'll teach them :twisted:

And if any of you numpTs don't know who Chrissie is -

-Winner of the Ironman Hawaii World Championship at her first attempt, less than a year after turning professional
    -3-time successive female winner of Ironman Hawaii
    -Current female Hawaii course record holder: 8:54:02 (2009)
    -Current record holder for the fastest time for all Ironman-distance races (8:19:13 at Challenge Roth in 2010)
    -Holds the three fastest-ever women's times over the Ironman distance: 8:19:13 (Roth, 2010), 8:31:59 (Roth, 2009) and 8:36:13 (Tempe, 2010)
    -Official Ironman world record holder: 8:36:13 (Tempe, 2010)
    -Fastest female iron-distance bike time: 4:36:33 (Roth, 2010)
    -Fastest female iron-distance marathon run time: 2:48:54 (Roth, 2010)
    -Greatest number of sub-9 hour times (six, two more than Paula Newby-Fraser's previous record)
    -Undefeated over the Ironman distance
    -First Ironman World Champion from the United Kingdom
    -Never stops smiling

In beating the Ironman world record at Arizona this year, she finished in 8th place overall, beating all but 7 of the 34 male pro finishers. Now that's top bombimg worthy of at least one nomination! She's a legend in the making.
  • Anonymous
    Yeah but has she got nice busters?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    IShaggy wrote:
    Not one nomination for Chrissie Wellington. So I won't be watching this year as a protest - that'll teach them :twisted:

She's an outsider in years when she wins the World Championship. But when she doesn't, like this year, she's got no hope.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    IShaggy wrote:

Perhaps you'll stop buying/reading newspapers and magazines as well, seeing as its various editors who short-list the ten?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • RichN95.
    phil s wrote:
    Perhaps you'll stop buying/reading newspapers and magazines as well, seeing as its various editors who short-list the ten?

Phil, can you get the BBC to stop asking Zoo for their nominations. They voted for Audley Harrison!

And can you get them to actually show some footage of Cav this time. Photos and radio commentary (marvellously produced though it is) don't really do him justice.
  • phil s
    RichN95 wrote:
    Phil, can you get the BBC to stop asking Zoo for their nominations. They voted for Audley Harrison!

And can you get them to actually show some footage of Cav this time. Photos and radio commentary (marvellously produced though it is) don't really do him justice.

Despite feeling sorry Cav doesn't get the recognition he truly deserves in his own country, I've always thought SPOTY is up its own derriere. What's more in less than a month I'll be blissfully ex-BBC.
  • I'd like to see Amy Williams win it or maybe Jess Ennis. After all it is a personality contest.... OK but Cav won't as he's a cyclist. Just not enough voting fans. The same goes For Phill Taylor.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Anonymous
    Where are you off to Phil?
  • phil s
    No idea yet. I'll have a lot of training and racing time on my hands. I'll be king of the chippers!
  • Cavendish certainly has personality in spades, but so did the Cray twins. Then again if Cavendish wins won't his girlfriend turn up as well? :wink:
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Good luck phil s.

I served an 11 year stretch and am now free :)

It's fun out here.
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Graeme McDowell has a pretty good chance.

Super year for him
  • Why on earth would they let Zoo magazine make nominations for SPOTY?

I didn't realise that anyone took Zoo seriously!
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think if Cav won the worlds next year he'd have a chance, it's so much easier for joe public to understand someone being a world champion than say winning the green jersey...."well done to Mark Cavendish who didn't win the Vuelta but got lots of points for consistently coming near the front and was awarded a green t shirt".
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    RichN95 wrote:
    phil s wrote:

They, and The Voice also voted for Didier Drogba. Is he even eligible for the main award!?
  • phil s
    guinea wrote:
    Good luck phil s.

I served an 11 year stretch and am now free :)

It's fun out here.

I'll have done an eleven year stretch by the time I leave. I'm being let out early for good behaviour as well. What are you doing now?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Welsh SPOTY votes close tomorrow choices here. Get voting for Becky James everyone!
  • 1st La Flèche Wallonne (Brabantse Pijl) (BEL)
    1st Grand Prix de Suisse TT
    1st Grand Prix Elsy Jacobs
    1st Overall Tour de l'Aude
    1st Stage 7
    2nd Stage 4
    1st Overall Giro del Trentino
    1st Stage 1
    1st British National Road Race Championships
    1st GP de Plouay-Bretagne (FRA) World Cup
    1st British National Time Trial Championships
    1st UCI Road World ChampionshipTime Trial

If a bloke had a Palmares like that for one year we wouldn't stop talking about them. Much as I admire Cavendish (and hope he wins) can't help feeling sorry for Emma Pooley, she is really someone who hasn't had the recognition she deserves this year.
    “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/
  • For sporting excellence year after year it has to go to Phil Taylor...
    ... It's a pretty weak field.

hahahaha.. I see what you did there. It certainly is a weak field if a pub games player can get nominated.
  • RichN95.
    For sporting excellence year after year it has to go to Phil Taylor...
    ... It's a pretty weak field.

hahahaha.. I see what you did there. It certainly is a weak field if a pub games player can get nominated.

I'm unbeaten in pub quizzes for five years. And a friend of mine is really good on fruit machines. Why aren't we nominated!
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Welsh SPOTY votes close tomorrow choices here. Get voting for Becky James everyone!

I'll be voting for Dai Greene, I'm afraid. Becky's best years are ahead of her.

I do find it amusing that Geraint Thomas came second last year for doing next to nothing, but this year he's ignored.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I do find it amusing that Geraint Thomas came second last year for doing next to nothing, but this year he's ignored.

Let's face it, the whole SPOTY thing is pants. Ryan Giggs was nominated for being, err, a nice bloke who didn't win anything last year but had been very good for years and should have won an award before. Oh, and he won because he is a footballer and ManU have millions fans who blindly voted for Ryan.

The show's is less about sport and more about media stars and public allegiances. Still, interesting program, I'll be watching it :)