Canyon Bikes

kfinlay
kfinlay Posts: 763
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Hey All,

Had a look on the search function about these bikes and they seem to be awesome. From the search I noticed that Canyon have previously had a sale during the TdF but from what I can gather it seems to be mainly frames with up to 50% off. Is this right or did they have bikes in the sale too?
I know they have an Outlet section all year round but there is nothing for me in there at the moment. Anyone know if the TdF sale is every year or just a one off for 2010?

TIA

Kev
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    They had bikes and frames on sale at the time kfinlay as I recall.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    They did discounts on both bikes and frames - the amount of the discount was linked to the performance of the Omega team in the TDF. The better the team did, the higher the discount.

They have sales on a pretty regular basis, but I guess timing depends on the amount of stock they need to move ! They moved a lot of residual 2010 stock during the TDF sale.
  • kfinlay
    Cheers guys,
    Have signed up for their newsletter and now follow on twitter - would love an Ultimate CF SLX frame built with SR but out of my price range ( I haven't got Nap D's resources ;) ) but should be able to stretch to an Ultimate CF 9.0 with Chorus - still an amazing bike, light and great value - especially if I can get it under £2k.
    Kev

• cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    they do a sale for around 2-4 weeks in sept to sell that years stock than close for stock take and relauch the next years bikes. They didn't do the TDF sale in 2009 iirc.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Canyon have a "proper" uk site now with pricing in sterling - http://www.canyon.com/_uk/ - there prices are very aggressive and there is also a UK number you can call to speak to people here about the bikes - it might be worth giving them a call to see what they can suggest:

Hotline:
    Mo.-Fr. 10am - 4pm
    +44 (0) 20 8501 2582

You never know - they may have some offers?

If you're after Maximum bang for your buck - they look pretty hard to beat.

I wrote a post about Canyon's new service centre on my blog if it's of interest:
    http://girodilento.com/canyons-uk-customer-service-centre-and-helpli

Good luck

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • kfinlay
    Thanks Scott, great blog BTW, have even bookmarked it :)
    I'm going to oush to try and get this through C2W scheme as my work goes up to £2k
    Kev

• ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    Kev,

Glad you liked it and good luck with finding a Canyon at the right price!

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I'm currently dealing with the UK service centre to get a longer stem. They're really efficient to deal with. Clear and diligent.

As for the bike - love the ride of my CF frame, albeit i only got about a months worth of riding on it before Uni/Winter. The full bikes are such great value. Let alone the framesets.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I'm currently dealing with the UK service centre to get a longer stem. They're really efficient to deal with. Clear and diligent.

As for the bike - love the ride of my CF frame, albeit i only got about a months worth of riding on it before Uni/Winter. The full bikes are such great value. Let alone the framesets.
  • Be careful with sizing - the geometry is a little different to many.

Nice machines.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I found the real difference in geometry was the headtube length.

When i filled out the online measurement guide it came back with a 54cm but I compared the geometry to the 56cm Focus I had. A 56cm canyon wasn't far off at all so i opted for this.

It was supplied with a 100mm and the steerer cut at the perfect height for me.

I paid 899 euros for my CF pro in the end of season sale.

It is comparable to a cervelo R3 I tested and imo better than the Hi Mod Super Six I also tried.
  • Yep, taller HT should suit most amateurs. The ST is relatively steep, which I like, but it does increase reach so needs to be factored in.

Interesting what you say gazzaput on the R3 similaritiy. Is that the new R3? That wouldn't suprise me given the tube shapes and overall design.
  • kfinlay
    Yeah had a look at the geometry and I'm between a 52 and 54.

Current Bike:
    ST 510
    TT (horizontal) 530
    HT 150
    ST Angle 72.5
    HT Angle 72.5

I reckon I'll go with the 52 as once I take into account the steeper ST angle - my saddle will need to be set back to give the same relative position to the BB compared to my existing bike so giving a longer reach of maybe another 10mm so might only need a 90-100 stem.

I think this is right but feel free to correct me guys
    Kev

• kfinlay wrote:
    Yeah had a look at the geometry and I'm between a 52 and 54.

Current Bike:
    ST 510
    TT (horizontal) 530
    HT 150
    ST Angle 72.5
    HT Angle 72.5

I reckon I'll go with the 52 as once I take into account the steeper ST angle - my saddle will need to be set back to give the same relative position to the BB compared to my existing bike so giving a longer reach of maybe another 10mm so might only need a 90-100 stem.

I think this is right but feel free to correct me guys

You're doing it the right way. Position of saddle in relation to BB is first thing to sort out.

Remember that bar height, width, reach and shifter type affects reach as well.
  • Gazzaputt
    Yep, taller HT should suit most amateurs. The ST is relatively steep, which I like, but it does increase reach so needs to be factored in.

Interesting what you say gazzaput on the R3 similaritiy. Is that the new R3? That wouldn't suprise me given the tube shapes and overall design.

It was the new R3.

No contest for in terms of cost for me.

Was a gamble as I couldn't test ride the Canyon but every review raved about it and they are right to.
  • TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    kfinlay wrote:
    I know they have an Outlet section all year round but there is nothing for me in there at the moment. Anyone know if the TdF sale is every year or just a one off for 2010?

Hard to predict. I would assume and hope, on the basis of last year's success, that there will be one also next year.

(I'm one of the lucky ones who got a Ultimate CF frame at -50% discount. One of the best deals of my life so far :D )

Their end-of-season sale on September generally sells off their remaining stock of current year's bikes at about -15% discount. What's left after the sale campaign, goes to the outlet at the same discount. I don't think that it is realistic to expect them to sell at bigger discounts as their regular prices are so aggressive.
  • kfinlay
    Well will keep saving and hope that a deal comes up

thanks for the info and help all :D
    Kev

• Gazzaputt
    I'd keep an eye on the outlet section. An CF Pro frame popped up two weeks back at 799euros.
  • Amazing as the deals are, don't get to fixated by them. You want the right bike, which may never become available in a deal. Be wary of waiting a long time and then buying something other than what you really want.

At full price the Ultimate SLX is still the cheapest frame of all the frames raced in the TdF.
  • kfinlay
    Yeah WildMo, I agree as there is this
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/outlet/articl ... o=A1015155
    on there at the moment but it's a 54 not a 52. I could probably fit a 54 but would I be 100% happy as a 54 wouldn't leave much seatpost showing (my existing bike is a 51 with about 85mm of post showing if I remember rightly - maybe I should go and check again :wink: )
    Kev