Headache after exercise

Ollieda
Ollieda Posts: 1,010
Anyone else get headaches after exercise? I get slight ones after being on the bike but if I go to the gym or go for a run I get really bad headaches (the type that leave me having to lie down in the dark) later in the day / evening.

Thought the obvious thing would be hydration but based on urine colour test i'm rehydrating fine.

Tried googling it but the only things I could find were references to getting headaches straight afterwards where as mine are always much later. as an example I got home from the gym today at about 1230 and my headache started coming in around 2000 yet I was fine inbetween.

Any ideas? Don't really fancy having to bother the doctor with something as simple as a headache!

Comments

• are you sure they are connected to exercise?

maybe you just suffer from migraines?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    They are quite common, and normally (although annoying) quite harmless.

Have a look at this > http://www.fitnessihub.com/how-to-preve ... -exercise/
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    My wife complains of a headache just before I want to exercise.
  • dehydration...
  • Sinitis?
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Brain tumour
  • Sounds like Migrane, I get exactley the opposite if I feel a Migrane comming on, I will excercise hard for two hours and that seems to cure it.
  • See a doctor if its disturbing what you consider to be a normal life - having to lie down in teh dark must ruin your social life (if you're alone :wink: )
    Most likely is migraine but it could be a trapped neck nerve or something even more serious - get it checked, and get some migraine tablets to see if they help.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    A mate in his early 40's used to get headaches after exercise,,,didn't think too much of it, then went to the doctors for a check up and was immediately booked in for a triple heart bypass.....I am not trying to act as a scaremonger of diagnose your particular case.
    All I do know is that if something is not right, then seek medical help....hopefully it will be too much coffee or lack of sleep.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Mate, it could be a multitude of things and despite it likely being dehydration or migraine, low blood sugar etc. it could also be cerebral vasospasm (where you blood vessels in your brain spasm and narrow) or more worryingly if its at the back of your head a warning sign of a subarachnoid haemorrhage (this is a bleed on the brain and is nasty and can kill). So for piece of mind, get it checked out!
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • BBH wrote:
    Mate, it could be a multitude of things and despite it likely being dehydration or migraine, low blood sugar etc. it could also be cerebral vasospasm (where you blood vessels in your brain spasm and narrow) or more worryingly if its at the back of your head a warning sign of a subarachnoid haemorrhage (this is a bleed on the brain and is nasty and can kill). So for piece of mind, get it checked out!

+1 for the getting it checked out idea.

Although perhaps that should have read "for PEACE of mind". He is in fact recommending you get a piece of your mind checked however!

(How can you get the spelling for "subarachnoid haemorrhage" correct, then f**k up "piece of mind"????? Chapeau! :D )
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    (How can you get the spelling for "subarachnoid haemorrhage" correct, then f**k up "piece of mind"????? Chapeau! :D )

Classic!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    mclarent wrote:

Classic!

Oh dear!!! that'll teach me to think about cake whilst typing :oops:

Hmmmmmm, a nice peace of cake................... :wink:
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • Obviously, go to a doctor and get it checked out.

What about salt loss?

During the summer, after a lot of sweat (playing football in particular) I used to feel light headed, head ache and a bit sick. Urine colour suggested I was well hydrated.

Tried some of those electrolyte drinks before and after and felt fine. Or eat some crisps, or something salty. Seemed to work for me.

Just a suggestion likes...
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    I can't remember where I found the info originally, but a few years back a friend of mine had exactly the same problem, except the headaches always developed into full blown migraines. The article I found suggested that taking ibuprofen before exercise would prevent the post-exercise headache and it works for him.
  • I get headaches. More commonly known as 'exercise headaches' I think - google it. I'm primarily a time triallist, so after a huge effort especially at the start of the season, I end up with a headache a couple of hours later. I can also end up with one after say a v. long club run. Yes - I've had to lay in a dark room as well and once or twice the headache/migraine has been so bad that I also felt I was going to throw up.

I used to be concerned that there was something wrong with me (don't you love these forum when someone can suggest that you may have a brain haemorrage and are the thicknes of a blood vessel away from death :lol: ) but rather than see a doctor who would probably suggest that I stop cycling :roll: I just read around the subject. The cure for me is to take some Anadin immediately after a race. The difficulty here is that I'm generally on a high at that point - the headache only comes much later and then only sometimes. However, if I wait until it starts before taking the tablets, they then don't cure it. Lots of info on the web so read around (and for safety sake maybe do see a doctor).
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Brain tumour
    Look on the bright side :lol:
    Mountain-Claud Butler Pinewood
    Road-Giant SCR 2.0