Best new music?

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
I haven't really listened to any new bands in ages. Are there any decent ones out there you'd recommend?

I usually listen to indie and punk, but I'm open to artists from other genres.

Comments

• Two Door Cinema Club Bombay Bicycle Club will fulfill your indie needs.

The Wanted and Olly Murs are big in terms of pop at the moment.

Dubstep's making a big push into the mainstream with artists like Skream, Benga, Magnetic Man. I'd reccommend any music from Annie Mac's and Kutski's shows on Radio1 to find out what you need to know to this end.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Two Door Cinema Club Bombay Bicycle Club will fulfill your indie needs.

Dubstep's making a big push into the mainstream with artists like Skream, Benga, Magnetic Man. I'd reccommend any music from Annie Mac's and Kutski's shows on Radio1 to find out what you need to know to this end.
    Wtf? really?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Joy Orbison : BB (housey?)

Brian Eno : Small Craft on a Milk Sea (ambient, lovely, noisey grinding, it's got it all)

Girl Unit : Wut (biggest tune of the year, no doubt)

Girl Talk : All Day (Mash up master at work)

First track from the new Mogwai album is fantastic too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Try Agoria - especially the latest balance mix (balance 016) (which isn't that new, but je suis keen).
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I'm listening to the "Foals - Total Life Forever" rather a lot at the minute.
  • LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening, and Sound Of Silver. Both excellent albums.

The Protomen - Megaman (the game) inspired rock opera stuff. It's actually unreal. Get Act II - Father of Death.

To My Boy - Synth based indie, but pretty decent.

Titus Andronicus - Bit like Neutral Milk Hotel.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • If you like indie/punk, then get Grinderman's latest. Grinderman 2.

Also, The XX, Foals, The National.
  • finchy
    Thanks for the replies, I'll get checking these out on youtube tonight, right after the Biggest Game In The History Of The Universe ™.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    johnfinch wrote:
    Thanks for the replies, I'll get checking these out on youtube tonight, right after the Biggest Game In The History Of The Universe ™.

You're watching my kids play Beyblade against each other?!?
  • finchy
    NapoleonD wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

You're watching my kids play Beyblade against each other?!?

Unless you're kids are called Lionel and Christine, I wasn't planning on watching them playing anything against each other.

What's Beyblade?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    for some really new music try this http://aurgasm.us/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited November 2010
    Just tune in to BBC 6 music, and be very impressed.

Sorted (you can even get it on your tellybox).
  • iainf72
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    altho they been around for a couple of years now, iv'e been listening to 'Band Of Horses' via youtube, really impressed, waiting for delivery of their 3 c.d.s
    my mate has done me a copy of a c.d. by 'Broken Bells' - never heard of them, but he reckons they worth a shout.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening, and Sound Of Silver. Both excellent albums.

^^^ What this man says
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening, and Sound Of Silver. Both excellent albums.

^^^ What this man says

The 2 live albums that are out now are also good. London Sessions and the split with Hot Chip
  • Metronomy, The Knife, Boards of Canada, The Foals and Super Furry Animals are getting played a lot on my iPod at the mo.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The Knife
    caught up with Karin´s solo work?
    Fever Ray.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Also an indie kid at heart but indie is a little staid at the minute, despite shouts earlier I am not convinced by the Xx.

If you have been dead for the last 12 months then check out Mumford and Sons, if you like them there is band from Scotland called Admiral Fallow, excellent album.

I quite like Laura Marling some great songcraft there and better than the usual crap you get on radio 1 from all these sound alike female solo singers. Also love Emmy the Great she is fantastic.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    Pfft. The XX album is very special - especially during winter.

Beyond radiohead I haven't really enjoyed a single album release for the past 3 years apart from the XX....
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Paul Smith has a solo album out, he was/is singist with maximo park. Not at all new but Suede have a "best of" out. 30+ tracks & some of the early b-sides are very special.

School of Seven Bells are worth a look as is The Temper Trap's last offering. White Lies have a new album out soon, that should be good. Adele's new stuff sounds very good also.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    edited November 2010
    A few 2010 Albums (Particular Songs)

The Jezabels - Dark Storm EP. (A little Piece, Mace Spray)
    Bonobo - Black Sands
    New Zealand Shapeshifter - System is a Vampire (Voyager, Twin Galaxies, Lifetime, Dutchies)
    Stromae - Cheese (Alors On Dance got over-played)
    Passion Pit - Manners (Moth's Wings, Swimming In The Flood)

Went to see NZ Shapeshifter Live last month. Seriously good. Live drums, Sax solo's, awesome vocals. The first time they've toured in UK or Europe I think. I'm a bit of a Liquid D&B fan so anything out of Hospital Records or Shogun Audio. S.P.Y - By Your Side is a tune (masterpiece) worth checking out (even though it'll sound like you've tuned into classic fm for a minute or so).

Other slightly older albums i like:

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago (masterful work)
    Miike Snow - Miike Snow
    The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Fruit
    The Cat Empire - Two Shoes
    Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I like The XX but they are shoot live.
  • Two Door Cinema Club Bombay Bicycle Club will fulfill your indie needs.

Wtf? really?

Well he's got a new album out this week that's going to go to number one, so I'd call that pretty big,

Back OT, try Swedish House Mafia's album too
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    I like The XX but they are shoot live.

Can get away with The XX, very bland in my opinion.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    XX are a flash i the pan.

Seriously, instead of asking others to list their taste, find a decent radio station (loads on the net) and just tune in.

RIP John Peel.