Building a bike from a frame/fork/headset

gummo
gummo Posts: 2
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

At the risk of sounding stupid, I've gotten an opportunity to purchase a Cyfac frame at a great price through a friend. I'm on a budget and I do no wrenching, so I'm wondering what it would really take to build the frame up, in terms of cost, assuming I'd be going the Chorus/Rival route. If I bought a Chorus Gruppo and a decent set of wheels, would that be the extent of my parts costs?

Just trying to set up a budget to see what to expect. I'm in a bit of a money crunch, but nothing like feeding my cycling addiction...

Thanks all!

Comments

• kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    don't forget seat post, saddle, stem, handlebars, tyres, tubes, bar tape, pedals and maybe tools if you're building yourself. Also stuff like grease/lube/screw lock, not sure if I've missed anything
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    bars
    stem
    saddle
    seatpost
    tyres
    inners
    cages
    bar tape
    possibly cables etc
    pedals

Spend: as much as you want ! You can pay £30 to £300 for bars alone.

Some context: the Wilier pictured in my sig link cost about £1k on top of the frame (and that is no where near RRP).
  • irezumi
    irezumi Posts: 142
    Ebay/the classifieds are your friend for parts. As well as sale at your LBS.

Your LBS wont charge much to put a bike together. But the only problm parts are going to be isntalling the BB/chainrings and possibly headset and cassette. Then setting up the deraileurs. Everything else is very straightforward.
  • You can spend as much as you like or as little as you can get away with.

I built my bike up, a ribble ultralight with 105 with a tad over £500.

If you have the patience/interest then you can make some good savings. Sign up to all the main retail websites for news about discount weekends, look at sales in LBS's, read the classifieds on here and elsewhere (if they exist?)

And don't forget flea-bay. Play it cool and you can get some real bargains.

I ran a spreadsheet with all the items I could think of, along with tools etc.. and kept records of expenditure, along with an idea of what was needed next to complete. That way I always knew what was next on the hitlist, the cheapest place I could find it and made sure I didn't go over the odds.

Go for it.
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    Don't be tempted to spend big money on finishing kit; Deda 215 bars with Logo stem will cost about 50 combined. Plenty of useable posts at around 30. A lot of people get on well with Charge spoon at less than 30. E-bay always a good source.