Full Mudguards on Hardtail.......Done ;-)

Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
Hi All,,
Just thought I'd share this.
Bit slippy for my road bike so reverted to the hard tail for all this snow we're having.
Can't do with a wet arse etc, so fitted some full SKS Commuter guards.
You don't see many pics of hardtails with full guards, but it just makes so much sense to me for really bad conditions.
Pat...
Mudguards%201%20(Medium).JPG
Mudguards%202%20(Medium).JPG
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Is your braike bridge drilled? I want to do something like this but I'm no good with bodging.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Avoneer
    Yeah - it was drilled, but a zip tie would work just as well.

SKS Commuter guards from Wiggle - currently £15.29 for both and they're 60mm wide.

They don't come with any bolts so I used a zip tie at the bottom on the back one (leading edge), a long M5 bolt at the brake bridge and then two M5 bolts onto the frame at the back.

I used one of the disc caliper bolts at the front and a plastic eyelet lug thingy from my road bike roadracer mudguards - does the job nicely.

Testing in the morning - but it feels solid.

Pat...
    "Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"
  • Put some rigid forks on so that you can fit your mudguards properly, and that will be a good bike.
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Here's another.

P1614_19-03-10.jpg
  • Avoneer
    Berk - how are they not fitted properly?

I have yet to see rigid forks with a lowered bridge for mudguards so if anything, they would never fit properly on rigid forks as the radius from the bottom eyelet to top of the crown wouldn't be a circle and unless you had like 30" diameter mudguards and that really would look shi*e.

Besides, if I was even gonna do that, I might as well use the road bike.

Chiggy - How did you mount the front mudguard leg (just so other peope may share our ideas)?

Pat...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My Onza forks didn't have a brake calliper hole, so I drilled one.....at the rear I run a rack with a deck that acts as a mudguard and also a small front guard at the rear to 'protect' the saddle and forwards.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Avoneer wrote:
    I have yet to see rigid forks with a lowered bridge for mudguards so if anything, they would never fit properly on rigid forks as the radius from the bottom eyelet to top of the crown wouldn't be a circle and unless you had like 30" diameter mudguards and that really would look shi*e..

Don't really see what you are saying. I have a Dawes Saratoga Rigid with suspension corrected forks. 26" SKS P65 full length mudguards fit a treat.
  • Avoneer wrote:
    I have yet to see rigid forks with a lowered bridge for mudguards so if anything, they would never fit properly on rigid forks as the radius from the bottom eyelet to top of the crown wouldn't be a circle and unless you had like 30" diameter mudguards and that really would look shi*e..

Don't really see what you are saying. I have a Dawes Saratoga Rigid with suspension corrected forks. 26" SKS P65 full length mudguards fit a treat.

The issue is that suspension forks are longer then normal forks which means you have a bigger gap between the mudguard and the bottom of the crown. My winter commuter has the suspension forks taken off and replaced by suspension corrected rigid forks. To bridge the gap between the bottom of the crown and the mudguards I used a metal strip to bridge the gap.

]P1010921Small.jpg
    P1010920Small.jpg
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Avoneer wrote:
    Besides, if I was even gonna do that, I might as well use the road bike...

Why would you want to use a road bike? Do that and you would lose all the benefits of 26", like potentially good rolling ability and improved handling on account of lower centre of gravity.
  • Avoneer
    I think the Dawes only has 60mm suspension travel so your's would look fine.

Most front suspension has about 100mm plus travel, so I would need a "deeper" front rigid fork.

The crown would be a fair few inches above the top of the wheel.

Besides, the front suspension works really well in 10" of snow and all matter of crusty frozen sludge.

Glad I fitted the guards and put the road bike away for the winter.

Pat...
  • P1010921Small.jpg
    P1010920Small.jpg

I've got the same forks as @bumpitybump and same guards (but older and drilled to bits ha as @avoneer, ala carte frameset also, 2.10's on it and currently building full guards and having to use p clips on the rear as its apparently a racing frame. al try and get some pics up inna hour or so!
  • IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0278.jpg
    IMAG0279.jpg
    IMAG0280.jpg