So, where to go?

StanwaySteve62
StanwaySteve62 Posts: 702
edited December 2010 in Tour & expedition
Want to do a bike trip next year, maybe seven 60-80 mile days.
I've improved loads this year but even if I carry on losing weight I'm stil going to be 15 stone ish so dont want big climbs etc.
somewhere in mainland europe
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Tour de France 5,6,7 July. NW France,close to ferry ports,not hilly.
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    Although I usually try to make my trips as tough as possible, I admit that there are many great places for cycling on the continent outside of the major mountain areas. In France I'd recommend the Loire region, Champagne region, Languedoc-Roussillon. Mallorca also has great riding and it is possible to avoid the mountains by staying on the eastern side of the island. Tuscany has hills, but it is possible to put together lots of routes without any big climbs, especially if you are staying near the coast. Slovenia and Hungary are off the beaten track destinations where it is possible to avoid big climbs. You are spoilt for choice!
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Holland would be good if its your first trip abroad..Maybe End of April for the bulb fields..lots of threads in the archives on Holland...
    jc
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Want to do a bike trip next year, maybe seven 60-80 mile days.
    I've improved loads this year but even if I carry on losing weight I'm stil going to be 15 stone ish so dont want big climbs etc.
    somewhere in mainland europe
    Any thoughts?

60-80 miles a day is a fair bit. If you aren't sure about your fitness I'd set a less ambitious target. Alternatively if you are fit enough to do 80 miles a day you'd be fit enough to do 50 miles a day even in the mountains.

If you really want to go somewhere nit too mountainous maybe Normandy or Brittany (but they can still be pretty hilly), or the Atlantic coast further south, or the rides along the canals ans ruvers of Burgundy or the Canal du Midi. Alternatively there are lots of cycle routes along Europe's rivers. North-central Italy is pretty flat with lots of interesting towns and cities to visit.
  • you could join us on our charity ride. Mull to Hull. its in august/ sept. there is a thread on it further down the page.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Try following rivers and canals. Very little traffic and they take you straight in to towns. Its a magic way to cycle.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Thy the Danube Cycle route. Gorgeous scenery and since it follows one of Europe's great rivers, which long age eroded a nice wide valley for itself, there are few hills. The route is well marked and a delight to follow. The stretch between Regensburg and Vienna is the prettiest. A real treat.
  • Thanks for the thoughts.
    Danube looks nice but want to use my own bike etc.
    60-80 miles a day should be no prob, I popped out and did 50+ on saturday avg 16 mph without really trying for the first 30 and have done a 100 without issue.
    I do also expect to be 'better' by the time I go :D
    Current idea is eurostar to Lyon then cycle home via the champagne region
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I saw a tv documentary about the Alentejo cork forest of S Portugal and it looks like a good location for easy riding. It is the whole area between Evora and the hills on the Spanish border. Probably best done in spring/early summer rather than August.

Slovenia is a great touring destination but it is quite hilly except for the Hungarian border area.
  • Hoopdriver
    I don't understand - why couldn't you use your own bike on the Danube?
  • As its a 'track' I would assume my tyres would not be suitable and then theres the logistics element
  • Hoopdriver
    It's all paved, delightfully so - either back roads or dedicated cycle paths; not the rough cinder things like in this country, but genuinely nice paved bicycle paths. AS for logistics, again I don't know what you mean. It runs through plenty of towns and villages - lots of places to buy food, or stay. It is very much a big thing among German/European cyclists, and well catered. Or do you mean it is simply too far afield and the logistics in getting there put it in the too-hard basket?

I'm not pushing anything, just curious.
  • Have a look at www.velocamps.com - they run good tours.
  • When I say logistics, I was refering to it being a one way ride rather than loop thats all.

What do peeps think of the eurostar/lyon idea?
  • Hoopdriver
    Yeah, I guess if you're looking for a loop, the one-way aspect of the Danube would be a real deal-breaker. Good luck with your tour. Lyon sounds great.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Get some trips under your belt in the UK before you start foreign tours. You could start at your front door - tour Suffolk and Lincolnshire. Hitch up to the Harwich-Hull sustrans route for a longer trip.
    T Farr
  • dont fancy the uk
    maybe because when I was a teenager i was always with my father going to Italy and back during term breaks in his lorry so have a euro affinity from a young age.
    Also seems more of an adventure :D
  • I second the Danube cycle route suggestion. I have done most of it (the source to the Romanian border) on basically a road bike. I started on skinny road tyres but tired of fixing the punctures and got some Schwalbe Mathathon Pluses - not had a puncture since.

Logistics wise we drove to the start with the bikes, arranged to leave to the car at the guest-house at the start in Donaueschingen, then at the end returned by train with the bikes to where we had left the car.

The German and Austrian sections of this route are fantastic! After that it gets more challenging...

Stephen.