Commuting in the snow

yagamuffin
yagamuffin Posts: 20
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
We've not got any yet but I think it's coming.
So do you guys ride in the snow? It's been a while since I was riding to school in the snow!

What tyres do people use? Any special tips for staying upright and in one piece?

Cheers.

Comments

• Last winter I rode in every day on a hybrid with 28mm treaded tyres - Conti GP4S and Vredstein Perfect Tyre. This winter my rear tyre will be a 30mm wide Schwalbe Marathon Racer.

As for riding on ice - lean instead of turning the handlebars and very light on the brakes. Test the road surface by braking sharply where safe to do so. Try and ride in fresh snow rather than tyre tracks.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    If it snows for me the bike stays at home.
    Made it in this morning as no snow , but a light dusting now if no more falls ok to go home in it.
    For me, I am on a road bike with slicks so I have to take care if ice or snow are about, a fellow worker has a mountain bike for winter and last year bought some studded tyres for all the snow and ice which are very good.
    I cycle though is small town before 7:30 (so not too much trafic) and country lanes on way home but I stick to more main roads now as they are gritted, and completely avoid cycle tracks!
  • Interestingly, you can get tyres with metal snow studs.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Before splashing out on some new studded tyres (as I did http://wokingham-cyclist.blogspot.com/2 ... piker.html), you might be interested in reading this excellent guide:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp
  • I've currently got 3-4 inches of snow and counting, i've resorted to roads on my 4 mile commute (each way) and use some tioga square of 8's and there really grippy, in all honesty snow tyres will not cut the deep snow on the pavements, i had the same idea but glad i never went for that option now.
  • fnegroni wrote:
    Before splashing out on some new studded tyres (as I did http://wokingham-cyclist.blogspot.com/2 ... piker.html), you might be interested in reading this excellent guide:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Interesting to read of your choice gnegroni. I'm with-in 20 miles of you and went for some of the more mellow Schwalbe Snow Stud in the expectation that most of the time I'll be facing black-ice rather then snow. Only ridden in them a few days and like you've I've noticed this type of tyre is rather noisy.
    exercise.png
    FCN = 8
  • Hmm.. not sure I fancy studded tyres on tarmac!
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I have Racing Ralph knobblies on my CX bike, they were pretty surefooted this morning in the snow and slush. In the ice I will drop the pressures quite a bit and take it very easy.

Just got to be careful in this weather, and do everything nice and smoothly.
  • I personally think a bike is the best form of transport in this weather. All condition cross tryes and a cross bike you can ride through pretty much anything, cars can get stuck, not so with bikes. 40psi and like others said super smooth and lean rather than steer. Not looking forward to the icy blast of an east wind on the way home. Oh, measured on top of the shed yesterday, 14 inches!
  • Struggling with Michelin Pro 2s in the snow - contact pressure is quite high so controlling it in compacted snow is a nightmare as they cut in and make steering very -um- interesting. Not bad in virgin snow. If it's flat. No room for anything bigger than 23s, though, so for the few odd days of snow I just have to gerron wi' job!

Not quite so deep in Leeds as rock_hopper's "enjoying", thank goodness!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Will be fitting 30mm Michelin Mud 2s (CX tyres) to the CX.

I run them at 40psi. No studs so you have take care on the iced-up snow.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    My son's school was closed today so I never got a chance to ride in the snow - not fair :evil:

Anyway - last year I found riding in fresh and compacted snow not particularly difficult - used a MTB with fat tyres and low pressures as has already been mentioned above. However riding in slush once deep snow starts to melt is far more difficult. Ended up having to push at some points because the back wheel just wouldn't travel in a straight line. This problem is more likely to hit cycle paths so just be aware.
    Steve C
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    My son's school was closed today so I never got a chance to ride in the snow - not fair :evil:

Anyway - last year I found riding in fresh and compacted snow not particularly difficult - used a MTB with fat tyres and low pressures as has already been mentioned above. However riding in slush once deep snow starts to melt is far more difficult. Ended up having to push at some points because the back wheel just wouldn't travel in a straight line. This problem is more likely to hit cycle paths so just be aware.
    Steve C
  • I ride a Peugeot 106 in the snow. 23s or 28s on compacted snow is not my idea of fun!
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Don't wear SPDs! I cycled the 4mile commute there and back today, dead fun, but if I had had SPDs on I would have been walking I think! :P The first time you ride on snow it takes a while to get used to it. I managed a whole 13m today before I fell off. Once you have got used to it though it just takes a little bit more caution is all.
  • i've just relised i'm running 50psi on each wheel, oh and using spd's, its a good job my life insurace is now sorted!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    thiscocks wrote:
    I ride a Peugeot 106 in the snow. 23s or 28s on compacted snow is not my idea of fun!

Arf !

Unlit ungritted country lanes for me at 6 am either a slicked roady or a slicked MTB .
    Luckily for me the wife is off work and i could use the car,having an accident i might never be seen in the ditch till i was frozen !
    FCN 3/5/9
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    slicks off the mtb as of now back with knoblies for the winter, rode slick this morning, fine, this evening very scary
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Today I learned the hard way that knobblies won't help at all on the ice and longed for Snow Studs. Will not leave it too late next time.

On the plus side I can't use my rear brake, it locks on so maybe I could do the cable tie mod instead.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Cyclocross or MTB?
    Do you think one would be better than the other for commuting in this weather?

Also, do you reckon these would be any good on a road bike in the snow/ice/slush? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18835
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MTB rather than cyclocross - lower centre of gravity and better steering control and presumably disc brakes. Cyclocross has the speed/weight advantage but who needs that in this weather?!

No to the tyres - I reckon the only ones worth going out and buying for these conditions are studded tyres. Marathon Winters are still available in Germany though the bargain one I bought seems to have been the last from that shop.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Rolf F wrote:
    MTB rather than cyclocross - lower centre of gravity and better steering control and presumably disc brakes. Cyclocross has the speed/weight advantage but who needs that in this weather?!

That's good news then as I already have a mtb with disc brakes!! :wink: