Play in bottom bracket, help please!

nickel
nickel Posts: 476
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I've been playing around with the idea of converting my chainset from a tripple to a double, so tonight i undid the first bolt on the large chainring before deciding i'd leave it til tommorow and did the bolt back up again. HOWEVER, now there is horrendous play in the bottom bracket, i've tightened both crank arms up and it doesnt seem to have made much difference. All of the chainring bolts are tight too. Oh and if it's any help the bike is only 4 months old and is a Specialized Hardrock disc 2010.

Help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what else did you touch?

if you only did what you say then it is just the same as it was before.

as it is a square taper fitting all you can do is make sure the bolts in the center are tight.

if they are then it is new BB time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nickel
    yup, honestly that's all i did! :p Just went out for a quick peddle and realised that there's no noise coming from the bottom bracket to shows it's loose, so i'm thinking its might have been this for a little while and it's simply come to my attention tonight after fiddling with the chainset.

cheers for the help!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What nature is the play?

If the arms/axle is moving as one, then the bearings in the BB are shot, time for a new BB.

If one arm moves and the axle/other arm doesn't then either the bolt is loose, or the taper joint is damaged.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nickel
    What nature is the play?

If the arms/axle is moving as one, then the bearings in the BB are shot, time for a new BB.

If one arm moves and the axle/other arm doesn't then either the bolt is loose, or the taper joint is damaged.

Simon

The unit moved as one, but i took my bike to my LBS today and had a new BB fitted, problem solved :D