Yukky brown discharge

AndyF16
AndyF16 Posts: 506
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
No, it's not a medical question, thankfully! Whenever I've washed my Ace or been out in the rain, I get streaks of rusty coloured liquid from the top of the headtube under the spacers, and bottom of the headtube by the top of the forks

I'm pretty fastidious about applying some GT85 after washing or a clean but wet ride, but is this normal or have I got a problem with the steerer tube or something? Thanks
2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange

Comments

• Sounds like rusty water coming from the headset. You should take it apart and give everything a good greasing before reassembling.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    when was the headset last greased?

if gt-85 gets into it the grease could get flushed out, so easier for water to get in and things go rusty, but unless you were very generous with it i woldn't think tha's the cause

metal steerer tubes are usually aluminium alloy, so the rusty colour wil be from something else

i'd take it apart for a look, may just need a clean and grease
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    I've got exactly the same thing happening with my Allez (you can see it in this picture from a recent blog post). I thought it just meant that I needed to replace my headset (it's nearly 6 years old and the Specialized ones don't have the best reputation). It's never been taken apart and greased since new - so that might explain it. If it's rusting should I just replace it?

IMG_7935.jpg
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    ScottieP wrote:
    I've got exactly the same thing happening with my Allez (you can see it in this picture from a recent blog post). I thought it just meant that I needed to replace my headset (it's nearly 6 years old and the Specialized ones don't have the best reputation). It's never been taken apart and greased since new - so that might explain it. If it's rusting should I just replace it?

deends where/how bad the corrosion is

if you are ok to diy, get some grease, take it apart, clean it, if the bearings are shot you'll be able to see if you need to replace, you can still grease it and re-assemble anyway to keep riding, then get a new headset

otherwise it's lbs time, in which case might as well get a headset fitted

how about your wheel bearings?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • AndyF16
    Thanks gents, looks like I should pick up some posh grease next time I'm in my LBS and see if we can solve the problem. Mine's not as bad as ScottieP's example but there again it's not even 6 months old so bloody shouldn't be I suppose!
  • ScottieP
    ScottieP Posts: 599
    AndyF16 wrote:
    Thanks gents, looks like I should pick up some posh grease next time I'm in my LBS and see if we can solve the problem. Mine's not as bad as ScottieP's example but there again it's not even 6 months old so bloody shouldn't be I suppose!

I'm surprised you're getting this at all - as you say the bikes only 6 months old - can you speak to the bike shop you bought it from?

My bikes 6 years old, done about 10,000kms and lives in a leaky shed - so it's not so surprising.

Sungod - thanks for the suggestions. I'm not good at DIY stuff - so it's a bike shop trip I think for a nice new headset. Wheel bearings are fine thanks - I think - no noticeable problems apart from being marginally out of true from a good crash recently - It might be time for a winter service I think.

Thanks and sorry to AndyF16 for the threadjack/jumping

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • If the headset has cartridge bearings then the rust will probably becoming from the bearing cases. If the bike is fairly new that the rust will probably be just on the surface.
  • AndyF16
    ScottieP wrote:
    Thanks and sorry to AndyF16 for the threadjack/jumping

ScottieP

not in the slightest chap - just the sort of discussion this forum is excellent for IMO :D

hopefully as mercurykev suggests it's just surface rust on mine - a multitool, a few hours and a probable bout of Tourettes will tell :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Strip down the headset and fit a new bike