is this normal?

philcube
philcube Posts: 45
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
hi all,
due to work commitments i havent ridden my bike for a month or so, hence it has been sat in the garage, in arctic temperatures. This morning i decided to go for a ride, and before i set off, i compressed the forks to check them, i found they would hardly move (they were'nt locked out), also when i spun the wheels and pulled the brakes, the pads didnt seem to 'retract' fully, and rubbed the disc for the whole ride. Temp last nite was -5.
I have only limited knowledge of the 'ins n outs' of the suspension/brakes, but there was no evidence of any leaking oil, and the bike has been stood in its normal upright position. so i was wondering-

a- do low temperatures cause these problems? is it normal?

b- am i doing any damage riding with rubbing brakes and 'stiff' forks?

the forks are rock shox dart 3 an a 2010 specialized rockhopper, and the brakes are tektro auriga pro. This is the first time i've experienced these problems, so any feedback would be appreciated. thanx

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they can stiffen up but soon speed up after some use.

and no.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • As any liquid cools it becomes more viscous. Less heat = less energy = reduce molecular movement = increased viscosity and eventually turning to solid (freezing)

Although oil wont generally freeze it will increase in viscosity hence not ragging your car till its warned up...

Same goes for brake fluid / fork oil. high viscosity means restricted movement from caliper to lever or through the various suspension parts. Once your out and its getting used, the oil will warm up and become less viscous. Id suggest gently bouncing on your forks and tapping your brakes as your rding to get them warm before giving them too much beans. A sudden big shock on either could increase the pressure on the seals and cause future problems
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Seems perfectly normal. Have a care, bring your bike indoors :)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    I had my old suntour forks do that once. As everyone else has said, gently bounce on the forks, and they should start working again.
  • I have exactly the same bike for my daily commute to work.

Nothing to worry about mate, as soon as you ride the brake rub fades and all returns to normal.

Just keep on top of cleaning the calipers and the drive-train to stop any gunk from causing problems.