Which club?

mdrhodes
mdrhodes Posts: 2
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
Are there any particular cycling clubs in Cardiff that would be more suitable for women?? I am looking for cycling in general - road or off-road? - I just love cycling!

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    mdrhodes wrote:
    Are there any particular cycling clubs in Cardiff that would be more suitable for women?? I am looking for cycling in general - road or off-road? - I just love cycling!
    Welcome to the forums, mdrhodes.

For general cycling I'd have a look at the CTC's site. CTC groups usually have different rides for different typres of cyclist, eg. beginners, intermediate, women's etc

Just give them a ring to let them know you'll be going along. You are allowed 3 rides before being required to join, so no pressure to join if you find it's not for you.

Ignore the other 2, they're harmless. Mad, but harmless. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    meh

To be honest, you would be as well to post "are you from cardiff" in the subject, and go by recommendation.

Different clubs have different politics, and outlooks. I would suggest turning up on some club rides (look at the local club websites) and seeing how you get on. Don't commit to joining any, and just turn up a few times until you can make your mind up. I just chose my nearest, and it worked out fine!
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I believe that two of the clubs in Cardiff are the Cardiff Ajax and the Cardiff Jif. I may have got this wrong but I think the Jif were named as a kind of mick-take on the Ajax and I also got the impression that a continuing zany sense of humour is part of their style as a club. Didn't Nicole Cooke start out with the Ajax? Whatever, I'm sure either would welcome an enthusiastic new cyclist.

There's also the Cardiff 100-milers Club who might be worth looking up. I don't suppose riding 100 miles is a condition of being a member these days even if it was in the past!

Ruth
  • There are several clubs in and around Cardiff, the Ajax is the biggest by some way, JIF have a big membership, but are very race orientated. The 100 milers which I used to belong to is now sadly very small indeed, and there is also Cardiff Byways, but can't think of any riders at the moment.

Immediately outside of Cardiff, you have Newport Phoenix, another club with dwindling membership, cwmcarn paragon who seem to absorb a lot of riders and are a big club, Pontypool RCC (my club) who are growing, and have both racing and non racing members, further west there is Ogmore Valley Wheelers, Porth CC. If its a cardiff club you are after, then I would recommend Ajax given your ambitions in your OP.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    First thing to do is check out the kit - there are a few marmite kits in that lot.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,445
    If racing JIF is likely to be the best bet although Ajax also have quite a few racing and a big overall membership. There is a club not too far away that are putting together a funded women's racing team though, so if you think you have the potential! :wink: