Winter gloves

shakey88
shakey88 Posts: 289
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
anyone recommend a good pair of windproof gloves?After an hour or so in cold weather i suffer very cold fingers in my current gloves(altura thermastretch) so i'm looking to upgrade.My budget is around the 60 quid mark.
Any ideas?

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    i really get on with endura strike, so much so im about to buy my dad a pair. waterproof and windproof, just need to make sure you pull them off by the finger or the lining comes out and be be a mare to get back in.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Assos wore mine saturday and sunday -5 and your hands get very warm :D £69 a pair but really worth it.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    markyone wrote:
    Assos wore mine saturday and sunday -5 and your hands get very warm :D £69 a pair but really worth it.

Great gloves. I crashed on Wednesday and shredded the brand new pair I had, but went out and bought another new pair straight away. £53 off eBay (new).
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Do you mean the "early winter" ones?

Not used mine yet,
  • Pokerface
    Scrumple wrote:

Not used mine yet,

Yup. And on really cold days I wear a thin set of gloves underneath them.
  • +1 thin, linlng gloves they do make a huge difference.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    £50+ for a pair of winter cycling gloves .......... f**k me! At that price I would be buying motorcycling gloves not crappy cycling gloves.

Anyway I got some Karrimor water and windproof gloves with removable thermal inners for £15. Bargain. They are breathable and still manage to keep one's hands nice and warm even this morning cycling in temp of -6C and this evening -3C. They were so much of a bargain I bought two sets. I bought some liner gloves as well which were also on sale but haven't needed to use them yet. Maybe I use them instead of the thermal inners when it is not so cold. But £69 for Assos cycling gloves ....... wow..........f**k me! More money than sense springs to mind.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I bought a pair of great looking goretex gloves a couple of weeks ago - Countdown III. Great looking but no use in really cold weather - fingers were cold after a few miles. They weren't exactly cheap! In fairness, you can buy a thermal liner glove to compliment them which I haven't tried yet.
    Peter
  • I suffer from cold hands and have been using these SPEG golves

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... ipora.aspx

Was out today for 2.5 hrs and hands stayed warm. Temp was hovering just above zero.

I've got X-large which are fine for me and would say they size up slightly small. Unfortunately I see some sizes out of stock.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    dilemna wrote:
    £50+ for a pair of winter cycling gloves .......... f**k me! At that price I would be buying motorcycling gloves not crappy cycling gloves.

Are they any good for braking and using levers in the cold?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I have two sets of Assos 851s and find them great for spring, autumn and early dawn summer rides but rather lacking in warmth during the depths of winter.
    Going to try some silk liner/inners with them though and see if that makes a difference.

Find the added warmth of my Spesh Radiants a boon but they're like bloody gauntlets and while they're fine for thumb shifters on the MTB, I think they're rather cumbersome in terms of dexterity when using dual-action Shimano STIs. Might be OK with 2300/Sora or Campag but I have sometimes found myself going the wrong up the cassette when trying to make shifts. :oops:
  • dilemna
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Eh????? What do you think you do on a motorbike to ride and control it :? ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    dilemna wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

They are completely different.
  • Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    Just got a pair of Prendas Windtex gloves for £12.50 delivered.....toasty!!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Pokerface
    dilemna wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Motorbike gloves are far too bulky for cycling. Dont you find you want fine control when riding a bike? I struggle to grip the bars or change gear with thick gloves.

Yup, 50 bones for a set of gloves is expensive. But worth it for warm, thin gloves.
  • dilemna wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Well you change gears with your feet not your fingers for starters.
  • dilemna
    Brakeless wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

So what operates the clutch :roll: ?
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Scrumple wrote:

Not used mine yet,
    Yes early winter,i think that will be enough very warm.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • dilemna wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

:? Yeah I know. It's ok pulling a brake or clutch lever with big bulky gloves but not as easy changing cycle gears. The guy moaning about prices seems to think that a motorcycle glove would be as good for riding a bike as one of the best designed cycle gloves around. He must know something about cycle clothing that the Assos designers don't!
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    hitthewall wrote:
    I suffer from cold hands and have been using these SPEG golves

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk/Product ... ipora.aspx

Was out today for 2.5 hrs and hands stayed warm. Temp was hovering just above zero.

I've got X-large which are fine for me and would say they size up slightly small. Unfortunately I see some sizes out of stock.

I can vouch for these gloves.....infact on Saturday I founf my hands were over heating and had to take them off and it was still sub zero temps!!!
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I have two sets of Assos 851s and find them great for spring, autumn and early dawn summer rides but rather lacking in warmth during the depths of winter.
    Going to try some silk liner/inners with them though and see if that makes a difference.

Find the added warmth of my Spesh Radiants a boon but they're like bloody gauntlets and while they're fine for thumb shifters on the MTB, I think they're rather cumbersome in terms of dexterity when using dual-action Shimano STIs. Might be OK with 2300/Sora or Campag but I have sometimes found myself going the wrong up the cassette when trying to make shifts. :oops:

Nice bikes dude! :D
  • dilemna wrote:

Your hand. Most of it.

Have you tried changing SRAM doubletap with your hand?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    dilemna wrote:

Anyway I got some Karrimor water and windproof gloves with removable thermal inners for £15. Bargain. They are breathable and still manage to keep one's hands nice and warm even this morning cycling in temp of -6C and this evening -3C. They were so much of a bargain I bought two sets. I bought some liner gloves as well which were also on sale but haven't needed to use them yet. Maybe I use them instead of the thermal inners when it is not so cold. But £69 for Assos cycling gloves ....... wow..........f**k me! More money than sense springs to mind.

Cycling is a sport where a lot of people won't bat an eyelid at spending over £3000 on a frameset, £1500 on wheels, etc. compared to that, £69 for a pair of gloves is nothing.

I agree with everyone else though about the motorbike gloves comment, if you can accurately operate your shifters/brakes with motorcycle gloves on then you're clearly very skilled, yes you have to use your hand to control the brakes and clutch on a motorbike, but it's a completely different feel to using the levers on a bike.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I use my Sugoi Firewall Gloves,keeps my digit's lovely and warm for £20:00.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • very happy with my sealskinz all weather glove

if I was regularly out for more than an hour or two in this weather, I might buy merino liners to get a bit of extra warmth, but otherwise they're brilliant, specially at £25
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    How waterproof are they though, have you been in downpour wearing them?
  • How waterproof are they though, have you been in downpour wearing them?

not a great deal no

the one time I was, my hands were a bit wet but it was getting in down the wrists, so jury out I suppose
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    very happy with my sealskinz all weather glove

if I was regularly out for more than an hour or two in this weather, I might buy merino liners to get a bit of extra warmth, but otherwise they're brilliant, specially at £25

I don't find these warm at all. And definitely not waterproof.

For me they're fine down to about 5 degrees.

At the moment my fingers are freezing by the end of my 25 minute commute.

I've just ordered some Craft Siberian gloves for which I've read good reviews regarding their warmth from Finish cyclists. Don't claim to be waterproof, but then as we all know most gloves that claim to be waterproof really aren't.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I don't find these warm at all. And definitely not waterproof.

For me they're fine down to about 5 degrees.

At the moment my fingers are freezing by the end of my 25 minute commute.

I've just ordered some Craft Siberian gloves for which I've read good reviews regarding their warmth from Finish cyclists. Don't claim to be waterproof, but then as we all know most gloves that claim to be waterproof really aren't.

well, I use them for my training rides at quite high intensity, so I'm running a bit hotter than a commute I suppose

I do use them for my daily commute too, but that is only 10-15 mins so not the harshest test maybe