Unsure which Specialized model to buy?

mossmotorsport
mossmotorsport Posts: 356
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I currently have a medium sized Specialized Stumpjumper hardtrail. It's a little too small for me, so I need to buy a new bike anyhow with a large frame. I also want to upgrade to a full suspension bike (especially after 20+ miles this weekend causing my arse to ache like no tomorrow).

I have a very low budget - £750 or less so it will need to be second hand. I am either looking at a Specialized FSR XC or a Stumpjumper FSR for a little bit more. Do you guys have any recommendations or input? Type of riding will mostly be trail centre stuff (Cannock Chase) - however I will be riding on the roads as well to work occasionally.

Thanks! :D
Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Buy a used Giant Anthem frame, few on ebay at the mo for around £300...sell your frame even if you get a hundred quid you still have £550 for upgrades !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • i've got the 2010 fsr xc pro and if you want the option of full lockout for the roads then as i'm sure you know this is the one to go for. I can't fault mine tbh it doesn't let me down (only when i run out of talent!) i've given it a lot of use since i bought it in july mainly on trail centres and the peaks ect so it can take the rough stuff. i found out just how much at jacobs ladder! great bike and i'm sure you'll find a used one within your price budget. don't get the lower fsr models as the rear shock is pony by all accounts!
  • i've got the 2010 fsr xc pro and if you want the option of full lockout for the roads then as i'm sure you know this is the one to go for. I can't fault mine tbh it doesn't let me down (only when i run out of talent!) i've given it a lot of use since i bought it in july mainly on trail centres and the peaks ect so it can take the rough stuff. i found out just how much at jacobs ladder! great bike and i'm sure you'll find a used one within your price budget. don't get the lower fsr models as the rear shock is pony by all accounts!

I've heard the shock on the lower models is pretty crap - font and rear lockout will be essential.

A few people have said about buying a frame off ebay (or wherever) but just wish I knew how to build a bike from scratch :?
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    Buy a used Giant Anthem frame, few on ebay at the mo for around £300...sell your frame even if you get a hundred quid you still have £550 for upgrades !

I'd be selling hard tail stumpjumper to fund it unfortunately - I'd expect around £400 for it which is what I paid a few months ago, thats partly why the budget is so low :(
  • torgey33
    torgey33 Posts: 179
    I agree with ricardo_smooth on the fsr xc pro, top quality bike for the price total lock-out on fox rear shock for any tarmac and superb reba SL up front, only gripe i`ve got is the mud clearance is abit tight, and yes the lower models rear shock is a bit low end on performance. The stumpy fsr is a better bike, lighter and 140mm travel but i think you might struggle with £750 for one of these.
    Whats That All About !

`06 Saracen Mantra
    `07 Scott Reflex 20
    `10 Specialized fsr xc pro
  • Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • torgey33
    Looks just like mine !!! £750 buy now price for a 6 month old one is pretty damn good.
    Are you keen to get a spesh cos thats what your current bike is or have you tried out others ??
    Whats That All About !

`06 Saracen Mantra
    `07 Scott Reflex 20
  • Not tried others - just fancy sticking to the same name really. A friend of mine has a Giant Talon, which is pretty nice - but looking at the prices of the Giant Trance's they're pretty expensive.

It is a pretty good price, shame I won't be able to sell my hardtail in time to buy it. I'm sure plenty more will turn up though...
  • torgey33
    Thats far enough, the spesh is a good bike, i use mine for singletrack XC and some trail center use every now and then and have had no problems except like i said earlier about mud clearance, the stock Captain tyres are very high profile at about 55mm and only leave about 5mm for mud and leaves and shiz, easily solved with a change of rubber. Only things i`ve changed from stock are some MG1 flats, ODI grips and Bonty MudX.
    Good luck with the bike hunting :)
    Whats That All About !

`06 Saracen Mantra
    `07 Scott Reflex 20
  • Cheers! The bike would have SPD pedals put on definitely - apart from that I think it would stay pretty standard...
  • Mines had tyres, shorter stem, wider bars and double and bash setup, so no major overhauls!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    As has been said, get a model with either a locking rear shock or pro-pedal.

But, full sus will do nothing the help your comfort. Only leathering your bum up or buying a better fitting or plusher seat will do that.