First cold ride of the winter any one else enjoy them?

andy600rr
andy600rr Posts: 29
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
hi just enjoyed the first winter ride today and loved it. Lovely crisp air light scattering of snow on the edge of roads, no gf moaning about the cold. Just wondering who else loves the crisp cold cycle rides?? And how do you prepare yourself for it.

Comments

• great until you hit ice and hit the deck, I am a lot more cautious this year after two offs last Winter, Rollers are being used more this year
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    They are nice until you start freezing to death, one problem with a lack of body fat I guess.

Then again I have been doing them for a few days now.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I love a crisp morning ride. Having had several weeks off the bike I was just getting back into my stride and had enjoyed most of November.
    Then the snow started. :(
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I love them if its dry, nothing beats crashing though icy puddles on an old rigid Hardrock :D

3 Baselayers and a long sleeve jersey up top, cheap tracky bottoms on the legs, big gloves and waterproof gloves worked for me. But then one of the guys was in shorts and a SS jersey :shock:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • was out for nearly two hours at the crack of dawn yesterday

my drink turned to slush puppy
  • Todays sportive got cancelled but not before I'd already made it to the car park meeting place along with half a dozen others.

We decided to ride the route anyway and started strongly, however ice and snow on the higher ground made for lots of wheelspinning and treacherous descents. In the end I was happy to get around in the silver standard average of 16mph. My feet were frozen by the time I got back.

**Makes mental note to buy some overshoes**
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I'd been off the bike for 2 months through injury and was just getting back into it.
    Out a few days before the snow and it was nice and fresh. Toasty warm so didn't mind it.
    No the snow is here.......thank God for Sufferfest!! :D
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    90k today. Just three of us so not too much shelter from an icy wind. -3 when I set off, -1 when I got back. Can't say I really enjoyed it:(
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    i ride in it, but can't say i like it

takes ages to warm up, always watching for ice patches, wearing extra clothes, dense air, pah!

now if it were 25c or 30c, mmm
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    thel33ter wrote:
    ...But then one of the guys was in shorts and a SS jersey :shock:

:shock:
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Cold is fine, but ice and snow is a different matter, its fun till you end up on your ass for the 3rd time narrowly missing sliding under an oncoming car :cry:

I aren't chancing it anymore, its not worth it.
  • sungod wrote:
    dense air, pah!

ah good, thought it felt like I was riding through treacle yesterday!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    inseine wrote:
    90k today. Just three of us so not too much shelter from an icy wind. -3 when I set off, -1 when I got back. Can't say I really enjoyed it:(

Character building :D
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Hate them to begin with but if I get warmed up enough when the legs are spinning it soon swings into being a good outing.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Did about 40km yesterday around Valkenberg - Jeez it was cold. I got to Gulpen after about 40 minutes and the thermometer/clock thing was reading 0 degrees C. However, Gulpen's in a valley so back up on the tops I reckon it was 3 or 4 degrees colder. I did 90 minutes and cut it short - I couldn't feel my toes.

Very enjoyable..... :? :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    i enjoy it if it's a nice bright day and we're in a big group just rolling along. Helps if I actually have feeling in my fingers and toes too. Today was just cold, grey, windy and kinda depressing.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Been out sat and sun and its not to bad if you wear the right gear.
    I dont mind it as long as i am warm,rather it be dry than p*****g down.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • danowat wrote:
    Cold is fine, but ice and snow is a different matter, its fun till you end up on your ass for the 3rd time narrowly missing sliding under an oncoming car :cry:

I aren't chancing it anymore, its not worth it.

It's time to head off-road then - I had a lovely ride this morning, even if the water in my camelbak tube froze up.
  • Decided to go out last Saturday for 60miles on my lonesome (not many riders in my area).

Wore bibtights, base layer, ls jersey, wind/waterproof jacket, windproof gloves, overshoes, skull cap & cycling plus scarf freebie!!.

was good for about the first 40 miles but after that my body temp dropped and couldn't get it back up until I got home, was not fun!!, think i'll be investing in a turbo & not going out in under 3 degrees!!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I now no longer ride when it is under 5 degrees, I can't afford to be ill and my wife is having chemo, so I must be sure not to give her anything that can harm her.

During weather like this I try to do 100 miles on the turbo and 50 odd miles on the rollers each week, take discipline but keeps your fitness up.
  • Great ride today but was -3 at the start - drink froze. Wore bib tights, overshoes, snowboarding socks, helly hansen base layer top, dhb wind/waterproof jacket, buff around lower face and buff for ears and head, 2 pairs of gloves and sunnies all the way around and it was glorious in Shropshire!! Finger tips got cold towards end of 35 mile loop but otherwise very comfortable. Was actually colder in my shed while I was cleaning my bike post ride.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Great ride today but was -3 at the start - drink froze. Wore bib tights, overshoes, snowboarding socks, helly hansen base layer top, dhb wind/waterproof jacket, buff around lower face and buff for ears and head, 2 pairs of gloves and sunnies all the way around and it was glorious in Shropshire!! Finger tips got cold towards end of 35 mile loop but otherwise very comfortable. Was actually colder in my shed while I was cleaning my bike post ride.

I cleaned mine in the hall, next to the radiator! :oops:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Cold I can cope with but snow and ice, forget it. had a freak footballing injury a few years ago that resulted in breaking both arms - had 2 months in plaster having my bum wiped by my now ex-wife - not sure if this contributed or not! So now I just don't risk a repeat - when it's icy I know I tense up on the bike and you never handle the bike well when tense, so I just don't bother.
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Sticking to the turbo when it's below zero. Did an hour on the trainer on saturday, couldn't take not going out, went out and stacked it on a corner from ice, scratched myself and my frame up pretty bad. Can't afford to brake my bike or my arm. But if there's no ice I love it, getting all wrapped up warm and zoning in on a ride.
  • Ohhh I love it, especially as theres no wind. Bitterly cold for about 20 mins but when warmed up its brill and seeing the countryside with a dusting of ice is byootiful. And i only ever take a phone with me; theres no way i'd be able to fix any fault on the bike in minus temperatures. One downside is the low sun, its like riding into a void sometimes.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    Been out today, probably the coldest day so far. Really love the clear crisp weather, much prefer it to the rain. Must say though at these temperatures I don't stay out for more than a couple of hours which means between 30 and 35 miles, if I can do that 5 days a week all through Winter I'll be happy.
  • I went mountain biking in the snow. Loved it.

Was wearing bib tights + shorts; 2 x ls jersey + windproof jacket. Felt like an early autumn ride tbh. :lol:
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • I did 16miles on sunday mid morning, mobile said it was approx -3deg :shock: ! Twas very cold, i had two pairs of tights on one close fitting the other a skin hugger, two pairs of socks, long sleeve thermal, short sleeve jersey, winter jacket and a beanie cap on. Core/head and legs where fine but face and feet really caught it. Proper cold at then end of the ride and it relly affected me too. :(

Looking to get a proper merino base layer, buff and poss some over shoe covers - although a decent pair of road shoes to replace my very ageing mtb spd shoes would poss stop the wind coming in :shock: :lol:
  • I went mountain biking in the snow. Loved it.
    +1

there was a bit of grip from the dusting of snow.
  • Cycling around Hampshire in the snow...lovely