What do you think of this idea......

jame58rown
jame58rown Posts: 263
edited December 2010 in Road beginners
OK, I have this (possibly silly) idea; it's the sort of idea that you come up with when your bored and browsing bikes on the internet.....

I would buy an awesome looking, chrome and white, italian fixie and....wait for it...... hang it up on my wall as an awesome decoration!

OK, now i've written it down it seems even more stupid. I would rarely ride it, but on the other hand, I've got a blank wall in my room and I could get some use out of it if I also got some rollers.....

It's impractical but it would look cool....would you?

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Just buy a picture
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    You're a few years late.

Google "Paul Smith Mercian".
  • Not exactly a new concept, but if that's what floats your boat, why not.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • My crashed and busted MTB Ti frame hangs on my wall
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    How awesomely awesome

Just awesome

(awesome joke above)
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    ...I think you should get out more.
  • At various points in my life I've hung my favourite jeans on the wall (once the crotch had finally died) and my first snowboard (again once it was no longer rideable but great art work and loads of memories).

I probably wouldn't hang it on the wall until it was broken (and if my wife lets me!).
  • pbamf
    pbamf Posts: 69
    I take it that you are not married, because if I tried that one there would be some spherical objects hanging just above the said bike :cry:
  • My LBS has a customer who buys a new bike every 6 to 9 months, with the sole purpose of hanging it on the wall to look at.

He doesn't ride them. At all. Not sure if there is a physical disability that prevents him doing so, but still.... When he gets bored with one, it's sold, and a new one replaces it.

Not just any old thing either: he has apparently had Time, Litespeed, Colnago and Argon frames up there of late.

Weird, but no more odd than spending a few grand on a painting IMO.

I've seen a Ducati 916 "hung" as artwork in a private house too.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Yeh, It was a silly idea, I was just daydreaming. But I would always put a £1000 bike on the wall over a £1000 painting anyday :wink:

Lol at the guy who buys a new bike every few months just to hang on the wall, but hey, people do much sillier things with their money than that.

(P.S: A motorbike on a wall?............ :twisted: )
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got a polished 1993 AMP B2 frame, with F1 forks and polished Topline cranks on my wall........... looks ace :D

I'm sloooowly building it up to it's original state, complete with original parts (anyone got any good nick 1993 XTR ?)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jackmcd
    jackmcd Posts: 185
    If I had the space, money and time I quite fancy a concourse condition classic car just sitting in the house to marvel at. Would have to be built in the house to get past the doors which would be half the challenge - but imagine a gleaming little triumph herald or suchlike just sitting in the hall... OK probably sounds wierd but can relate to the OP.

I also suggested to my wife that I hung my new bike in the hall as art - but that was just to avoid it getting scratched in the garage really ;) (she said no...)
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    On seeing a new Bianchi Via Codognotto at my local dealer, the same thought crossed my mind for two reasons;

a). It's pretty much a work of art, looks wise 8)

b). I wouldn't fancy riding the bloody thing far :lol:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    On seeing a new Bianchi Via Codognotto at my local dealer, the same thought crossed my mind for two reasons;

a). It's pretty much a work of art, looks wise 8)

b). I wouldn't fancy riding the bloody thing far :lol:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's the choice between a Colnago Master or Cinelli Supercorsa?

My Gios Aerodynamic is now hanging on my workshop wall, still with the mud and dust from l'Eroica - gives me inspiration whilst sweating it out on the turbo.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • best place for a fixie imo