Sram rear cassette

pugaltitude
pugaltitude Posts: 191
edited November 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Carrera Fury with sram.
Should the rear cassette or free wheel have slight play.

Comments

• Yes. Gets worse with age. Some go from not a lot to not a lot, others a little to a lot. A lot would be the biggest sprocket moing side to side more than 2mm.

Make sure it's tight and does not need shimming first mind.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Mine doesn't have any.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    define "play"

how old is the bike?

is everything tightened correctly?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bike is only 2months old.
    I stripped cleaned and greased the rear hub bearings as I had a ticking noise when I was out for a ride on thuirs night.
    When I had the wheel off I noticed the cassette had slight play from side to side.
    I couldnt get the splined lock nut off without the tools. Tried a brass drift but didnt want to go to far in case of more damage.
    I was just wondering if it should have play.
    I might just take it back to Halfords and let them check it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the cassette is not lose.

is the movement the free body or the wheel bearings?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • my old 951 casette has abit of play in it, but since moving up to a 981 with the alloy spider it has eliminated the vast majority of play, although on my old hub there was the smallest amount of play.

on my new switch hubs there is no play whatsoever though :),

having play should be a problem so long as all the gears seat properly and its not shaking itself loose.
  • I bought a SRAM cassette recently. It has lots of "twisty" play when holding in my hand. Twisting the biggest and smallest cogs. I fitted it and it's works just fine.

The interesting thing is the SRAM cassette on the inside isn't the same as a Shimano one. It has a saw tooth pattern instead of a square wave.