Conti Gatorskins - Not as good now as in the past?

El Capitano
El Capitano Posts: 6,401
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
I'm currently riding on my 4th set of Conti Gatorskins. Up until the current set, I'd only ever had one puncture and each set would last between 12-18 months.

Last night, I got a blow out on the rear. Tyre wall had ripped on a slightly raised manhole cover I didn't see until too late. Okay, so this could have happened to any tyre. However, when I got home (a 2 mile walk... :( ) and inspected the tyre, the centre strip, that's in contact with the road is cut to pieces. On further inspection the front isn't much better. I don't normally see this as I've got full length mudguards.

Now, I haven't changed my commute route/length and the roads, if anything have improved over the years.

So, my questions:

1. has anyone else noticied any difference in the current Gatorskins?

2. any recommendations of something a little more robust? (I've used Conti Contacts, but didn't find they rolled that well).

Comments

• GP4000s. Ride well, not heavy, don't puncture easily, good grip dry and wet.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    GP4000s. Ride well, not heavy, don't puncture easily, good grip dry and wet.

On the standard GP4000 here front and back, and I strongly agree with this.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Been running them for a month or so and just checked them to be on the safe side and as of yet (fingers well and truly crossed) I haven't had a problem. I even ran through two broken bottles, (unavoidable) whilst riding into my work place, and they were absolutely fine. I know there's a bit of a mixed opinion on them but I've had no problems, YET!
  • I wish I could say I only had one puncture a year on Gatorskins, but I live in the country and maybe there are just more harmful objects there? However, can't honestly say I have noticed any deterioration in the quality of the tyres over the four years or so I have been using them.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I found the side walls rip a lot easier than i thought they would .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • I too have used Gatorskins for the past 4 years plus and have found that the the last two sets seem to have punctured more frequently than earlier experience. Can't make up my mind whether it's the tyres or whether there is less road sweeping in general therefore more punct@re objects. Certainly around here there are a lot of flints left from last years gritting after the Council ran out of proper road salt. Incidentally I fond the beadless versions give a much smoother ride than the beaded.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I haven't noticed a change and I've been using them for the last 10 years or so.

I put a new set of 23c gators on the road-bike in the summer and, apart from a couple of cuts here and there, they're virtually untouched by the 1500 miles or so of mainly rural riding that they've covered since. the only time the wheels have been off since then have been for transportation (ie in the back of the car) or for cleaning.

That said, I tried a set of 28c on the 'hack' last winter (or possibly the winter before that) and switched back to the trusted Armadillos after half a dozen visits from y'ol p-fairy in a as many commutes. It's now been so long since I took the wheels off the hack that I needed to use a no.1 persuader (aka a small hammer) to free the QR skewer from the hub (again - oops!).

Bob
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've not used them for over a year, but my experiences with the two sets of 25mms were not good. Tyre wall started to unthread (and one blew altogether when I ran over the metal clicky thing you find in lever arch files). As for the 23mms, they lasted 6,000 miles and thought they were ok even though I had 10+ visits from the PF on them. I replaced them with Durano Pluses and realised that the Gatorskins didn't perform nearly as well by comparison (IMO).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • They're rubbish. Big, round and rubbery with a big hole in the middle.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I use them and have also suffered from a split tyre wall but in general i feel comfortable that I'm not going ot get a flat whatever i ride over.

Not noticed any deterioration in the quality
    FCN = 4