Snow news!!

slunker
slunker Posts: 346
edited December 2010 in The bottom bracket
Why does a bit of snow make head line news???

It is winter, we live closer to the arctic circle than the equator and this make the headlines. Must be slow news day. Imagine our media in Canada or Scandinavia??? They would go mental.

Comments

• Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    Hate to get "regionalist" but it's about where you live in the UK, we've about 60cm of snow today, no problems. If the country were forced to use snow/winter tyres in winter there would far less problems, the grip profile works better the closer temperature gets to zero.

If 60cm hit london, Cameron would declare a state of emergency!!
  • 60cm here? Be a waste of 50 as 10cm is enough to cause civilisation to collapse for a week and its headline news so that we know when to panic :(
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Why? Because it's arriving much earlier than normal.

Global warming and all that.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Pokerface wrote:
    Why? Because it's arriving much earlier than normal.

Global warming and all that.

quote Private Frazer......"We're Doomed"
  • I just love the sight of £30k cars spinning their wheels on a few mm of ice! The faces of the drivers panicking is even better.

Strangely, the local supermarket was packed this morning (thick snow and ice on the ground BTW), much more then the usual Friday. Panic buying I presume.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • 26 mile queue on the M4 around cardiff, 7 miles over caerphilly mountain with cars stranded people walking home, tescos empty of bread and milk by 5, a 30 minute wait for diesel. It's already started.....
  • Had about 3inch of snow around here when I got up this morning to a nice cuppa and a gas boiler with a pilot light that had gone out. :cry:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Had about 3inch of snow around here when I got up this morning to a nice cuppa and a gas boiler with a pilot light that had gone out. :cry:

We have a light dusting and a leak in the central heating under the downstairs bathroom floor so guess what I'm doing today rather than riding.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    slunker wrote:

Imagine our media in Canada or Scandinavia???

I lived in Canada for 30 years and in some of the colder places (Montreal gets 4 months of minus 50 degree weather with the windchill and usually snow for most of that time).

They still report the early snowfalls in the same way. :)
  • Slapshot wrote:
    If 60cm hit london, Cameron would declare a state of emergency!!

So far the current Westminster Government hasn't got involved, unlike the last mob who steam-rollered in and mucked up the plans of the local authorities.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • slunker
    slunker Posts: 346
    Pokerface wrote:
    slunker wrote:

Imagine our media in Canada or Scandinavia???

I lived in Canada for 30 years and in some of the colder places (Montreal gets 4 months of minus 50 degree weather with the windchill and usually snow for most of that time).

They still report the early snowfalls in the same way. :)

Yeah -50 is worth reporting but -5????

Was out this morning for 75 miles in -8. Was "refreshing". By the way I live in Scotland so I expect this weather. What are the news people expecting at this time of year?? A nice 15 degrees!!!
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    slunker wrote:

Was out this morning for 75 miles in -8. Was "refreshing". By the way I live in Scotland so I expect this weather. What are the news people expecting at this time of year?? A nice 15 degrees!!!

No - just 9C (in the South), that being the average daytime temparature for this time of year, not 0C
  • IT NOT SNOW ITS FROZEN WATER FROM HEAVEN HA HA HA
    going downhill slowly
    Got up yesterday morning to an oil boiler that's trip light was on, bloody things been making odd noises for a week!
    Repair man got to us at about 9.15pm.
    Good job we've got an open fire as well as central heating!
    About an inch of snow tops this morning.
    But icy as the Seventh Level of Hell!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • My daughter tells me it's 30Celsius in Sydney NSW at present. Guess where I'll be this time next year?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    My daughter tells me it's 30Celsius in Sydney NSW at present. Guess where I'll be this time next year?
    Erm...same place you are now?
    so many cols,so little time!
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    -9 Celcius recorded this morning at Church Fenton (my nearest weather station on the BBC) at 0600hrs :shock:
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    slunker wrote:

Why do people always do this? I suppose someone is going to moan about "the country grinding to a halt over a few flakes of snow".

Should we invest in several thousand snow ploughs with crews on standby like they do in NYC? Of course not, snow is still comparatively rare in this country.

Would a temperature of 'only' -1C be a story in say Capetown in December? Of course it would! Perspective!
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    It was -12C here this morning - and we'd had a power cut from 2am Sunday - came back on around 11am.. Snow is about 16 inches deep where it hasn't been dug. With the constant shovelling to keep the driveways clear, there are piles 5 feet high each side of the drive.
    Last winter, from December 18th until March 21st, there wasn't a day without some snow in the back garden. This ranged from 2 feet deep to a few patches on the lawn - but not a day without any.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Where is the snow? Every bloody single piece of the UK has had some snow apart from the Manchester area and the north west, I want a refund.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    We didn't get snow as such here, just a massive freak hailstorm on Friday which dumped at least an inch of hail/snow mix in about 45 minutes. It quickly iced over and became compacted and the roads are are lethal. My wife went out to walk the dogs in absolute clear conditions, 45 minutes later she returned and it was like she'd come home to a different part of the country.
    Haven't even had the bikes out this weekend!
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    After three days of silly amounts of snow fall we've just had a thunderstorm. Would love to know where the warm front is to cause it or can you still get them where a cold front meets say an uber cold front?
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    After three days of silly amounts of snow fall we've just had a thunderstorm. Would love to know where the warm front is to cause it or can you still get them where a cold front meets say an uber cold front?

Probably "thundersnow" caused by "lake effect" - cold air from Scandinavia passing over the relatively warm North Sea. We had a wee bit of thunder and lightning on Sunday morning just after the power went off.

Or was it rain you had?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Cheers for that.

Snow and hail stones. We had some more lightning (beautiful blue(y) stuff) and thunder about 5-6 this morning following some more hail.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Got about half a mm of snow here, omg it's so deep!
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Bolton should grind to a halt tomorrow with the 'forecasted' half an inch of snow. We had a few flakes this morning but overall it's been very disappointing. After last year's complete whine-fest I hope it's deep again; I will help the elderly neighbours and friends like before, and probably take the MTB up Rivvy!
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Bunneh,

Give us a shout when you hit the trail with the MTB. Other than family rides, mine has been gathering dust most of the year.
  • Slapshot
    Slapshot Posts: 211
    21 inches in my back door yesterday morning it's compacted to about 18 now.
  • Slapshot wrote:
    21 inches in my back door yesterday morning it's compacted to about 18 now.

Fnarr fnarr :lol: No snow for us yet, just quite chilly.
  • 26 mile queue on the M4 around cardiff, 7 miles over caerphilly mountain with cars stranded people walking home, tescos empty of bread and milk by 5, a 30 minute wait for diesel. It's already started.....

Pussies the lot of em Steve. iIt took me 20 min on the bike (and one dodgy taxi u-turn) whilst it took others an hour to go from the centre of Cardiff to Whitchurch on Friday. Caerphilly mtn has trails, get an MTB!!
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business