Sufferfest

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
Got a turbo last spring but could never really be bothered with it.

Now that I have decided to embark on a dedicated training program rather than just commuting and a long distance ride on the weekend as I did last year I bought 'Angels' as recommended by some on here.

This really does make the Turbo worth the effort. I was soaked in sweat in the garage with the tunes from the DVD pumping and could almost say I enjoyed the leg burning intervals.

Get involved!

Comments

• I've got angels too and have set up my very own pain cave. Love it!
  • I've got angels too and have set up my very own pain cave. Love it!
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I think you're preaching to the choir on here.

They are good aren't they. I've used them on a smart phone in the gym on a Schwinn spin bike before but I'm now figuring out how best to set up a laptop in my turbo dungeon in the garage to get the benefit of a larger screen.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I'm another recent convert :D
    I'd tried watching regular films or other cycling dvd's in the past but this is the first time I've really felt like sticking with it.....even though I was suffering.

I've got Revolver, Angels, The Hunted and Fight Club but only used Revolver so far.

Plan to get on the turbo tonight but, even with a heater, my garage is soooo cold.
    I know I won't be cold for long though! :? :)
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    twotyred wrote:
    I think you're preaching to the choir on here.

They are good aren't they. I've used them on a smart phone in the gym on a Schwinn spin bike before but I'm now figuring out how best to set up a laptop in my turbo dungeon in the garage to get the benefit of a larger screen.

Do you have an iphone or ipod? If so the easiest way is to buy an AV lead and plug it directly into a TV. I have loads of cycling dvds and sufferfest vids on my iphone, and can just play them through the TV in the garage. The sufferfest are in the right format anyway and don't even need converting.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I bought Angels last week and used it for the first time last night. I thought it was brilliant and made the hour go by pretty quickly. I think it will be getting some use over the next few days as the snow has arrived this morning :( . Think i will have to invest in another couple if the weather doesn't improve soon.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Has anyone still got the old 'free' ones? (Couple of years ago there was a few videos on itunes and it was a free download). Are these available to buy or download anywhere?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Unfortunately not :(
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Has anyone still got the old 'free' ones? (Couple of years ago there was a few videos on itunes and it was a free download). Are these available to buy or download anywhere?
    I might have, on my other computer (which is currently broken). Once it's working again, I'll let you know.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I've still got 'em. I think they were taken down as they broke copyright. So if anyone, for example, PMed me asking for them, I would of course have to refuse.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I have Angels and the Hunted, both excellent. Had to download some free software to convert them to DVD format then burn them. I can then play on my daughters portable dvd player with the audio out plugged into the stereo and turned up to 11.
    Hurts like hell but pushes me much further than any other training session.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Did Angels last night and, as already said, it makes the time fly. :)
  • I got Downward Spiral first off (based on a recommendation on this forum) and thought it was tough. Then I tried 'The Hunted'.........
  • The hunted is so so so so so hard!!!!! ive got em all, used them in Afghanistan on a spinning bike to keep me sane! they are excellent!
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • Surfr
    Surfr Posts: 243
    Bought myself Angels and Revolver last night and I'm about to set up my pain cave in the conservatory for winter.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Got myself Angels, DS, FC and Revolver, only done Angels and DC so far (as I'm saving the other two for after christmas, my sister bought them for me as a present) but I find them absolutely amazing. Last winter riding the turbo was one of the most boring things I did, found myself watching the seconds tick by and although I was following specific workouts, I used to dread it. Now I actually look forward to getting on the turbo of an evening.

Haven't got the hunted yet, but I've heard it's an absolute killer, seems to be backed up by the comments on here :shock:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Yeah, I've got Fight Club, Revolver, Downward Spiral and Angels. Might get Hunted this weekend.

More often than not I just ride my own planned session with the videos there for a bit of distraction (and the music), rather than following the instructions, but they are pretty brutal when you do follow them. I like the climbs in Angels - definitely want to have a go on the Col d'Eze some time!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • amck111
    amck111 Posts: 189
    Downloading Angels this very moment to see what all the sufferfest hype is about :)
  • How long is everyone taking downloading Angels. Took my superfast Broadband 20 Hours. Is this a record?
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Mine took under 2 hours and I don't have a particularly fast connection! That must be a record!

When I downloaded FC, DS and Revolver I started them all at the same time and just left them overnight, took about 6 hours for all of them!
  • What are these DVDS ???
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    so do they tell you when and how hard to go at certain times then? like a virtual spinning coach, or do you copy the pro on the screen..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    It tells you how hard to go...
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Carefully cleaned and oiled bike - check.
    Turbo trainer - check.
    Laptop - check.
    All the sufferfest vids on rotation - check.
    Glass of orange juice - check.
    Towel - check.
    Annoying clicking noise that only happens when my bike is on the turbo - begrudging check.

This is my recipe for success in the coming racing year!
  • How do people factor in the progressive nature of training with these videos? Is it possible?
  • Anonymous
    As you get fitter you go harder! It's done off Rate of Perceived Exhertion or % of threshold power.

As Greg Lemond said - it doesn't get any easier, you just go faster...
  • Is download only option or can I buy the DVDs? Just makes it easier to move between dvd player and laptop if I've got the DVD.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I think you pay a bit more to get your own copy sent to you.