Changing to flat bars, brake lever question

dubnut71
dubnut71 Posts: 123
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Ok it may seem a dumb question but I am stumped.

I am about to change the drops on my Spec langster to a flat bar and fit new brake levers and my question is around the terminology of brakes!!

The pic of my bike below shows the rear brake, I think this is whats referred to as a "normal or caliper" brake arrangement. So when selecting a replacement lever for my bars what do I go for?

4653694068_d256465693_z.jpg

I presume its something as simple as this? shown as a "flat bar lever"

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34695

I am confused with the terms "canti" and "v-bake" because I don't think I have those? I understand canti's and vee's to be 2 completely different things but not what I am looking for.

Having never done this job before I presume I just cut the cable outer to length and also then cut and put a new nipple on the caliper end if I have some slack? (see told you I have never changed brakes before).

Any brake lever suggestions gladly received, I thank you in advance for your kind help!!!! :oops:
Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
Merlin Malt 1
Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the R in the part number indicates that they are Road bike specific

your brakes are commonly called "caliper brakes" they need the same amount of cable pull as cantis and road disc brakes.

So any road spec levers or any Canti levers will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yep those ones you linked will work fine. I have the R770 version of them, lovely things to use.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • dubnut71
    Cool guys, thanks. And the cable change is straightforward? just like cable replacement?

I am going to invest in a good set of cable cutters as all I have here is electrical "snips" and they will leave an oval hole in the outer I suppose!!
    Merlin Malt 1
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well new inners will be needed (if they dont come with the levers) as they are a different nipple to most drop levers.

levers will be like first part second part for your current levers
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... brake-type

note the barrel nipple on the flat bar levers as opposed to the nipple shape on the drop levers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dubnut71
    And I am also throwing myself at your mercy style wise, a nice set of plain black bard with black shimano levers and some brown grips or do I go the whole hog and have some anodised charge "straw" bars and go all pimp?
    Merlin Malt 1
  • dubnut71
    Job Done!!!!

5229609787_e9ae0bcc3c_b.jpg
    Merlin Malt 1