walking around London with £200K of jewellery

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
without security .... what did bernie eccelstone expect ?

obviously I am sorry for the guy but you cant help thinking he is partly responsible

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333205/Bernie-Ecclestone-mugged-200-000-jewellery-doorstep.html

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

obviously I am sorry for the guy but you cant help thinking he is partly responsible

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333205/Bernie-Ecclestone-mugged-200-000-jewellery-doorstep.html

I presume you blame rape victims as being partly responsible for being victims of crime as well

I mean being female/ going out at night/ wearing a skirt/ drinking alcohol etc

It is reprehensible to accuse a victim as being partly responsible
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Stupid.

But still not as stupid as this -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-11843543
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • spen666 wrote:

I presume you blame rape victims as being partly responsible for being victims of crime as well

sorry thats totally not the case, if you leave the keys in your car and it gets nicked you dont get an insurance pay out cos its your fault.
  • You could say she was asking for it as well. I mean fancy walking home from the post office with your pension and no security ........ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-11826896

Thing is Bernie Ecclestone is a horrible little man so my sympathy is somewhat limited although any crime is despicable
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    spen666 wrote:

sorry thats totally not the case, if you leave the keys in your car and it gets nicked you dont get an insurance pay out cos its your fault.

Absolute rubbish

you do not get a pay out because it is a risk specifically excluded from those covered.

The only fault on the person is leaving the keys in the car. The car owner is not responsible for the actions of the thief.

If the thief is caught, they get punished by the courts. They get punished because they are responsible for the theft, not the victim

You have a very strange attitude accusing victims of being responsible for the actions of criminals.

It may be the case that the victim could have taken more steps to ensure their safety. That however is a million miles away from being responsible for the crime. Only the criminals are responsible for the crime
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    . That however is a million miles away from being responsible for the crime. Only the criminals are responsible for the crime

What he said.

Although there is always the defence of........Its not thier fault. They had a terrible upbringing. Society has abandonend them. There didn't have a choice. :roll:
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    when Jenson Button had an attempted car jacking incident at recent Brazil Grand Prix, Bernie Ecc said that only stupid and careless people get attacked.
  • true (and in hind sight very funny) :- http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09112010/58/ecclestone-mocks-button-brazil-attack.html

maybe 'responsible' is a bad choice of words, but people do have to be sensible in the choices that they make in the world. If you leave your house windows open and go on holiday you will not be responsible for the crime that will enevitably happen, but you are a huge factor in the crime taking place in the first place. You would not leave your £1500 carbon fibre bike unlocked whilst you bob into the shop would you ?

I never said that the victims are responsible for the criminals actions, but they are certainly responsible for thier own actions, which may lead to a crime being committed.

• I never said that the victims are responsible for the criminals actions, but they are certainly responsible for thier own actions, which may lead to a crime being committed.

I still think your intereptation is wrong, my leaving a bike unlocked and it being stolen does not mean my actions lead to a crime being committed, it made it easier for someone to commit the crime but in no way can be seen as the instigator, that is purely down to the thief and his choice of action.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

I never said that the victims are responsible for the criminals actions, but they are certainly responsible for thier own actions, which may lead to a crime being committed.

I still think your intereptation is wrong, my leaving a bike unlocked and it being stolen does not mean my actions lead to a crime being committed, it made it easier for someone to commit the crime but in no way can be seen as the instigator, that is purely down to the thief and his choice of action.

I don't think that's what NN was saying (although his words weren't particularly well chosen). Most of what is being said on this thread comes down to the words used, rather than the general thrust of what NN was saying.

He's just saying that there are sensible precautions that we can all take to reduce the chances of being victims of crime.
  • his GF is hot.

anyway, back to the OP. don't think its his fault at all. this def is a planned robbery.

£200k for him is like £50 to us, so i can see why him and his GF would have carried that amount of jewellery at the time.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    d87heaven wrote:
    Although there is always the defence of........Its not thier fault. They had a terrible upbringing. Society has abandonend them. There didn't have a choice. :roll:

Well, not in any court of law. Thank goodness.

Anyway, i suppose many would say that we should be held accountable for our own actions and decisions. Does this mean we should bear responsibility for a crime? I'd guess an equal consensus would say no.

Going through life without once being stupid is an almost unattainable benchmark. However it's all too commonly applied. Ecclestone was a fool but he shouldn't have been mugged.
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    stupid and senseless maybe, but in no way was he responsible.
  • johnfinch wrote:

I don't think that's what NN was saying (although his words weren't particularly well chosen). Most of what is being said on this thread comes down to the words used, rather than the general thrust of what NN was saying.

He's just saying that there are sensible precautions that we can all take to reduce the chances of being victims of crime.

yes thank you .... :oops:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I think everyone understands what he meant but some have chosen to twist things a bit for 'debate' :wink:

He must be a very good looking 80 year old to attract a stunning, 31 year old Brazillian girlfriend (who is about a foot taller than him). Maybe she staged the whole thing in the hope that the shock would get the better of him :lol:
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    [Mrs Merton]What on earth does that attractive young woman see in 80 year old billionaire dwarf Ecclestone. Hard to fathom. :?:{/Mrrs Merton]
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    His bird is so fit. Bet he's getting through a fair few of those little blue pills.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Hmm, it says her name is Fabiana Flosi. Is Flosi the Brazilian way of spelling Floozy!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Now I know he's loaded but surely any self-respecting woman would avoid that sort of thing as it's just so obvious what you are up to. Why not settle for a 38 year old man who is taller than you? :wink:
  • Pross wrote:
    Now I know he's loaded but surely any self-respecting woman would avoid that sort of thing as it's just so obvious what you are up to. Why not settle for a 38 year old man who is taller than you? :wink:

you spelled 'prostitute' wrong
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    You would not leave your £1500 carbon fibre bike unlocked whilst you bob into the shop would you ?

Our club does this frequently at cafe stops with all kinds of attractive carbon on display. I am not comfortable with it though and occasionally lock mine and a couple of others. My club can't be the only ones, some people are way too trusting.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Miss Flosi 49 years his junior. Wow!

You would have thought Berni would now have security especially after he was almost car jacked parking his new Mercedes Benz CLS55 AMG 4 years ago. The guy's a billionaire. Surely Miss Flosi isn't impressed by his tightness in not budgeting for security.

The jewelry that was taken was probably his gold medallion :roll: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    £200k....not that hard if you are in his league.

I'd guess the watch will be a Lange & Sonne/Patek/Vacheron Constantin or the like so a quick £50k/100k there alone. Her as well.

Earrings, necklace, bracelet.....done!
  • He is a billionaire, £200k is very little to him.

You shouldnt be expected to walk around with security, plus, £200k isnt a HUGE ammount for somoen like him to be wearing, there are many a nice watch for well over £200k....
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    You can be sure that if I had £1b I'd have several £100k+ watches in my collection.

I can empathise a little with Bernie, I lost my £3.5k watch to a gang of thieves a month or so ago when I was mugged.

I guess that was my fault too.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I saw a follow up article the other day, where Bernie was quoted as saying they didn't have much jewellery on them, and that he'd heard £200k mentioned, but that was "bollocks".
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Think the 2ook figure was just plucked out of the air by the 'journalists' at the Daily Fail.....the muggers did give him an awful kicking though :(
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    what goes around comes around - financially a drop in the ocean for bernie the midget, and there seems to be some real irony about the manner in which he dismissed the attempted hijack on jenson button - by the same token this will be a bit of late trick-or-treating then!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    what goes around comes around - financially a drop in the ocean for bernie the midget, and there seems to be some real irony about the manner in which he dismissed the attempted hijack on jenson button - by the same token this will be a bit of late trick-or-treating then!

Being robbed is one thing but the bastards giving him a good hiding was totally uncalled for.

Any other 80 year old beaten up like that on a London street there would be an outpouring of outrage and sympathy for the victim.

Just cause he has done ok for himself it seems the attitude is he deserves it.

Hope he makes a full recovery and they catch the scum.