Purchasing cleats

es330
es330 Posts: 46
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Hi

Novice question here. I've had mtb shoes and mtb cleat pedals for ages but have them fixed to my road bike. I want to put my new spd road bike pedals on my bike and need to buy a pair of shoes. As I only commute a 13 mile round trip, do the occassional 25 mile journey at a weekend, and plan to do the odd sportive next April I'm opting for a pair of dhb R1s. My question is what else do I need to buy? I'm aware that I need the cleats (the Shimano SPD SL Cleats appear to do the job) but is there anything else I need? When I look at the pedals I'm thinking, 'how the hell do these work!' Is there some piece of kit I need so the shoe connects to the pedal? Hmmm...though I'm aware many of you will be thinking 'is this guy for real!!' when I boughtmy mtb pedals and shoes at Evans years ago they set everything up for me in store. I literally rode away and haven't had to do anything since. I look at a pair of shoes, cleats and the pedals and think what's missing here???

Help :D

Kevin
Trek 2.3 2010

Comments

• If you have the right cleats for your shoes and pedals then I'm thinking you should be good to go???

I've got sp520 pedals and the cleats came with my shoes. Attach cleats to shoe...attach foot into shoe, attach shoe to pedal. Job done!

Only thing required is practice!!!!!

Although I'm sure a helpful soul will correct me if I have missed something.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • es330
    If you have the right cleats for your shoes and pedals then I'm thinking you should be good to go???

Cheers. I assume I do. The pedals are PD R540s, the shoes are a wiggle entry level road shoe and the cleats are SPD SL so I'm hoping I'm on the right track.
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Yeah, I'd say you're good to go. You just need to bolt the cleats to the shoes and get used to clipping in/out with them - it feels a bit different to mtb pedals.

If this is the first time you've set up cleats/pedals then take tour time getting the position right or you'll knacker the joints in your legs. There's a guide here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/s ... eats-24284

Cheers.

Rob
  • es330
    Ber Nard wrote:
    Yeah, I'd say you're good to go. You just need to bolt the cleats to the shoes and get used to clipping in/out with them - it feels a bit different to mtb pedals.

If this is the first time you've set up cleats/pedals then take tour time getting the position right or you'll knacker the joints in your legs. There's a guide here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/s ... eats-24284

Cheers.

Rob

Sound advice. Many thanks :D
    Trek 2.3 2010
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    cleats tend to come with the pedals not with the shoes, although if the shoes are expensive enough you can sometimes blag a set of cleats.