Canc: Swiss based chippy needed to widen door at head height

2»

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Doesn't Anquetil have something like 9 GP des Nations wins ? I haven't looked it up but I understood that was the unofficial world TT championship of the time. I don't know about further back - Coppi was a handy TTer - but for me Anquetil's record in time trialling has yet to be surpassed by anyone since.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ullrich better than armstrong in TTs?

in their head to head record ullrich one once against a lot of LA wins. Unless there are any in none TDF races I don't know about
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    dave milne wrote:
    ullrich better than armstrong in TTs?

in their head to head record ullrich one once against a lot of LA wins. Unless there are any in none TDF races I don't know about

I think they mean before Ulle got a little chunky.

'96-'97-'98.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    dave milne wrote:

Sydney 2000. Ullrich silver, Armstrong bronze.

Ekimov took gold.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    FJS wrote:
    Back in the days the Grand Prix des Nations was pretty much the TT World Championship - Anquetil won it nine times. Still some work to do for Fabian :)

I would like to see Cancellara attack the hour record though. It's the only (if flawed) tool to compare generations, and if we take that it's still Merckx as best (if we forget Sosenka, and with Boardman his overshoes alone might have gotten him the 10 m over Merckx).

What he said. They didn't call him Monsieur Chrono for nothing.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    dave milne wrote:

I think Ullrich and Indurain, 1992 and 1996 have the biggest winning margins of a rider in a TT stage of any grand tour TT over 40km since 1992...by quite a bit. I think Armstrong's TT wins weren't as dominant but he had more wins for sure.

None of the best riders targeted the world TT for years. Mickey Rogers is 2nd best in the world if we followed Cance's logic. JU and LA would smoke Rogers in a TT when both on form.
    Cance is too scared to go for the hour I guess....would take some explaining if he couldn't beat clean riders like Obree and Boardman
  • rick_chasey
    Dave_1 wrote:
    dave milne wrote:

I think Ullrich and Indurain, 1992 and 1996 have the biggest winning margins of a rider in a TT stage of any grand tour TT over 40km since 1992...by quite a bit. I think Armstrong's TT wins weren't as dominant but he had more wins for sure.

None of the best riders targeted the world TT for years. Mickey Rogers is 2nd best in the world if we followed Cance's logic. JU and LA would smoke Rogers inca TT when both on form.
    Cance is too scared to go for the hour I guess....would take some explaining if he couldn't beat clean riders like Obree and Boardman

I got the impression Canc isn't as fussed about TTs as he used to be. He's more interested in challenging himself - hence his new emphasis on the Ardenne classics. Sure, the TT brings home a lot cash, but it doesn't strike me to be his passion, unlike the classics which were for him this year (2010 that is)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    johnfinch wrote:
    Pff you guys. A successful sportsman backing himself? Who'd have thought.

I know cycling fans are keen on their riders being humble working men, who say that a tough day in the saddle is never as hard as a day in the mines or a day during harvest, but I imagine Canc's mentality is one that most of the winners have.

I'd suggest the riders who are as good as Canc who say otherwise, are just a lil better at knowing what to say to keep the fans happy...

I have no issue with self-belief, confidence, drive, ambition............all that. Whether or not some of it is lost in translation is one thing, but, for me, he's borderline Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I'll be rooting for Roger and Thor come April...

He's ethnic Italian - this is him being modest.

:lol: Very good...........I appreciate that compared to Pippo, he's a veritable shrinkig violet!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    cacellara as far as we know is clean, chances of anyone you are comparing him to were not

You got to have doubts though. Many of the people he's being compared to were certainly not clean though. I think the testing makes people more careful now, and they have to employ more sophisticated methods for less actual improvement. Chinny certainly does the business when it matters, best ever, who knows?
  • It seems spurious to compare Cancellara's performance in tours to GC contenders. His job is a bit different - he probably spends more time towing the peleton than anyone else which is hardly the best preparation for a TT.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    FJS wrote:
    , and if we take that it's still Merckx as best (if we forget Sosenka, and with Boardman his overshoes alone might have gotten him the 10 m over Merckx).

Boardmans ride,RIGHT at the end of his career,was hardly representative of the mans ability.
    Had he done the ride within a few weeks of his 'Superman' ride,then I wonder what sort of distance he would have covered?.
    so many cols,so little time!
  • dave_1
    FJS wrote:
    , and if we take that it's still Merckx as best (if we forget Sosenka, and with Boardman his overshoes alone might have gotten him the 10 m over Merckx).

Boardmans ride,RIGHT at the end of his career,was hardly representative of the mans ability.
    Had he done the ride within a few weeks of his 'Superman' ride,then I wonder what sort of distance he would have covered?.

I think it was very far and Chris B has Obree to thank. without Graeme's experiment they'd have been blown away by the Rominger/Ferrari hour record...the intelligence of Obree compared to the other top pros-the mythical athletes of the early 90s who couldn't think beyond employing a proven doping Dr
  • dave_1
    edeverett wrote:
    It seems spurious to compare Cancellara's performance in tours to GC contenders. His job is a bit different - he probably spends more time towing the peloton than anyone else which is hardly the best preparation for a TT.

I reckon LA and Ulle would have taken a first week long TT awfully seriously and spent the best part the season getting ready for it, so not so spurious to compare. Cance would have struggled to beat them. JU and LA were in a league of their own...we missed a great duel that the 2002 TDF would have been
  • cancellara said a year or two back when asked if he thought saxo bank did enough time trial training that he thought if anything they did too much but needed to to help AS,

With regards to the hour record Hutchinson was the guest speaker at your club dinner this year and someone asked him 'if Cancellara attempted the hour record would he get it?'

his reply without taking any time to think was 'yes, no doubt'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    Confirmed it to Sporza first - there really is a mutual love-in with the Flandrians and Cancellara.